ArtWalk @ FATVillage

[ot-caption title=” One of the various art installations during the February ArtWalk of this year (via Michelle Pendergast, senior)”]

On the last Saturday of every month, Flagler Arts and Technology Village, or FATVillage, transforms into a bustling, vibrant mecca for the creative-minded. Artists of every kind gather in the center of downtown Fort Lauderdale to display their own work and appreciate others. FATVillage is where local creative businesses and artists convene in their efforts to emerge in the South Florida art community. Whether it’s to get the word out about an an upcoming art exhibition, film a documentary, design apparel, or for photography, The Village is the place for it all. 

On the last Saturday of January of this year, a friend and I accidently stumbled upon this FATVillage creative festival, “ArtWalk.” We were in a desperate attempt to get our caffeine fix of a vanilla soy latte at one of my personal favorite spots, Brew at C&I Studios. I was unable to park due to the street being blocked.  Yet, we became intrigued by the commotion and decided to check it out. Our decision was one I definitely don’t regret.

To our surprise, the street was overwhelmingly filled with other artistic, eccentric intellectuals just like us. Food trucks lined each side of the street, while entrances to quaint vendors for handmade jewelry, stitched and vintage clothing, design prints, vegan treats, and more were decorated with a multitude of colored string lights. The Village’s studio warehouses turn into various, separated art galleries, each containing differing styles and unique creations of varying artists. I was specially enthralled by the Samara Folk Art Gallery exhibition. I’d never been introduced to the folk, whimsical style of art, and these works left me in awe. The galleries lead up to the last building on the street, Brew at C&I Studios along with its altered atmosphere. Instead of the usual halcyon and low-key coffee brewing house ambience, Brew was a congested hub full of indie and alternative music enthusiasts as a local Fort Lauderdale band, Vincent Mango, performed live in the lounging area. 

Since then, I’ve anxiously awaited for the next artwalk every month. I can’t wait to see which new underground alternative rock band will be performing, or what kinds of gallery installation will be showing. FATVillage hosts other art exhibitions as well, like “ The Nerve,” a performance arts festival happening March 18th and 19th at The Projects in The Village.

So, I urge you to go to FATVillage in downtown Fort Lauderdale and exercise your creative senses! And don’t worry if you’re not sure what your passion is yet, I have no doubt you will discover it at The Village. 

ArtWalk: Date & Time:

Last Saturday of Every Month

6.00pm-10.00pm

Address for FATVillage:

521 NW 1st Ave.

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Sources: Fat Village Projects, Fat Village