The Ins and Outs of College Counseling with Mrs. Marcia Hunt ’12H

Pine Crest’s College Counseling Team. Back row, left to right: Mr. Reese, Mr. Zimmer, Mr. Shay, Mrs. Kirkendall, Mrs. Fanning, Mrs. Sullivan. Front row, left to right: Ms. Pasquale, Mrs. Hunt, Mrs. Wilson-Walters, Dr. Byrnes, Mrs. Kuhn

January not only marks the beginning of a new year; it also commences the dawn of a new stage in juniors’ high school experience. Toward the start of the month, the juniors received their college counselor assignments. The college counseling team is equipped to prepare the upperclassmen for their journey into college by providing guidance on college applications, resumè building, and essay writing. To the untrained eye, the process may appear convoluted at first glance. However, in the interview below, Marcia Hunt ’12H, former president of the Southern Association for College Admission Counseling (SACAC) and the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), unravels the intricacies of it all for the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen.

Mrs. Hunt’s resumè confirms the type of established counselor that she is. Having served on advisory boards for a number of University Admission Offices, such as the University of Michigan, the University of Pennsylvania, Northwestern, the University of Mayland, and the University of Chicago, Mrs. Hunt shared that the most exciting moment in her career happened in 2012 when she was deemed the Honorary Graduate at the 2012 graduation. Her advice below is exclusive; make sure to take notes. 

When asked what the number one tip she could provide, Mrs. Hunt explained that “students must ignore the noise… There are so many vendors in this business from SAT to essay prep. A lot of this doesn’t work and is extremely counterproductive.” Oftentimes, she said, paying exorbitant fees for counseling does not bring successful outcomes. If anything, getting too many different pieces of advice can be quite inefficient. 

“One of the things that distinguishes our office from many other offices is the longevity of the people that work here,” Mrs. Hunt said. “Our time is dedicated to Pine Crest students full time.” For this reason, both underclassmen and upperclassmen should avoid the gimmicks that are up for sale. “Where there is anxiety, there is money to be made.” Taking advantage of the resources available at Pine Crest and ignoring the outside noise is the key to saving money, time, and tears.

When it comes time for you to apply, and then later open the decision letters, just remember that “it really does work out.” Mrs. Hunt said, “Think about who you are and what’s right for you, not what’s right for others.” Sometimes, the name of the college and the prestige that it offers are less valuable than the environment for growth that the university provides. It’s not about “bragging rights,” she said. It’s about where you as a student, a friend, a daughter, or a son, are going to thrive the most.