Getting to Know Mr. Hannigan

Getting to Know Mr. Hannigan

As we near the end of the school year, it is a great time to reflect on the changes and constants surrounding us at Pine Crest. A once new face at Pine Crest has become a familiar and appreciated presence on campus. Known as a strong and compassionate leader, Mr. Hannigan, our Assistant Head of the Upper School and Dean of Students, is a great person to talk to for anything. He has proven to be a stable resource for all students, with his ability to practice patience being accredited to his professional background and personal experience as a father of two.

Born and raised in Greenwich, CT, only a combination of fate and curiosity could have brought Mr. Hannigan to Pine Crest. After volunteering overseas, his family decided it was time to settle down somewhere that would provide new scenery and challenges. Since moving to Florida, he has done exactly that by enjoying numerous weekends going to the beach to eat lunch with his family. 

When asked about his exact introduction to the school, Mr. Hannigan credits the opportunity to his wife, Mrs. Hannigan, who had taken a temporary position in the local area. As they assimilated into the new area, Mr. Hannigan looked for a job and fortunately found one at Pine Crest. After settling into his position, he took time to consider the changes and routines that have come with his position. Approaching the end of his first school year at PC, Mr. Hannigan shared that “getting to see things run a different way, getting to see new things, and helping a new group of students” is what motivates him to get out of bed every morning.

He also shared his enjoyment of striving to create the best possible atmosphere and experiences for each student during their time in the Upper School.

Looking towards the future, Mr. Hannigan is proud of the students and excited to continue to make a difference in the Upper School: from his role on the Honor Court in which he helps facilitate a variety of circumstances all with the goal of better understanding students’ situations to ultimately help anyone work through the difficult situations they may face. 

Mr. Hannigan also compared his job at Pine Crest to that of an offensive lineman in football. “If you’ve done your job, everything is smooth, and you aren’t necessarily seen. On the other hand, if you don’t do your job, it affects people, possibly negatively.”

As a message to the PC community, Mr. Hannigan offers the advice that was once given to him: “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, once you do criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes.” He would also like to remind every student of the importance of following the dress code, along with wearing an ID while on campus, to ensure the safety of all.

Mr. Hannigan appreciates the warm welcome he has received thus far from the Pine Crest community and was presently surprised by the kindness exemplified by alumni, parents, and students who reached out on their own. He said he felt like a part of the team before he had even arrived at campus. With this in mind, take a moment in the next few weeks to stop by and have a conversation with Mr. Hannigan. Whether it be a casual hello or seeking his well-thought-out guidance, he is a great listener and an even-keeled administrator, and person.