A MoMa Experience

[ot-caption title=”A photo of Andy Warhol’s Untitled of Marilyn Monroe. (via Michelle Pendergast, senior)”]

Don’t take this the wrong way. The art is beautiful–mesmeric, even. But imagine this: you unsteadily wander into a fairly petite room crowded with other anonymous art enthusiasts, all eagerly trying to uncover a little bit of their soul inside Van Gogh’s Starry Nights or Henri Mattisse’s Dance.  Inconspicuously mirroring everyone else in order to seemingly “fit in.” You gaze into Pablo Picasso’s Woman with Pears. It’s just you and her.  The woman and you. It’s a serene moment for you two–but, suddenly something catches your eye to the far left. Lichtenstein’s Drowning Girl is, quite ironically, calling your name, needing you. You have no choice but to follow Lichtenstien’s commands and leave The Woman with Pears stranded for the next observer.

Overwhelming it might sound, yes- but I mean that in the best way. Confined around countless historically renowned pieces is hard to take in but nonetheless amazing, isn’t it? How could you even pay half the amount of deserved respect to each piece while you are being glared down by an immense amount greatness on every wall.

This was the account of my experience at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa). Surrounded by such inventiveness, glory, and beauty, my mind was flooded with gratitude; I almost couldn’t bear to continue through the galleries.

Situated on W 53rd Street between 6th and 5th Avenue lies the MoMa. The MoMa boasts six collecting departments: Painting and Sculpture, Architecture and Design, Film and Media, Photography, Prints and Illustrated Books, and Drawings. I decided my favorite department was the Painting and Sculpture, where I finally had my opportunity to bestow my honor to Monet’s Water Lilies. The artwork displayed isn’t the only thing the museum offers. The MoMa’s The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden, created by artist Harry Bertoia, holds an exhibition in itself, the ongoing Modern Monument. This installation features works from Barnett Newman, Pablo Picasso, Joan Miró, Henri Mattise, and many more.

Some of the works featured in the next exhibitions will be displayed on October 11- March 7 (Greater New York Series), November 7- March 20 ( New Photography: Oceanography), and November 22- March 13 (Jackson Pollock showing). So, the next time you find yourself in Manhattan, I highly recommend you don’t miss out on all the brilliance that awaits you in East Midtown, at the Museum of Modern Art.

Source: MoMa