Giving Back: Senior Day of Service

[ot-caption title=”Mr. Fitzpatrick organized a Day of Service for the seniors, adopting the mantra, Be the change you wish to see in the world. (via Ava Goldstone, junior)”]

Serving the community is the cornerstone of a well rounded experience at Pine Crest. Therefore, it’s no surprise that many seniors were excited for their senior day of service. While the other grades took the PSAT, the seniors went with their English classes to different service opportunities from tending stables at Tomorrow’s Rainbow to playing games with kids at the Jack & Jill Center. Each group had the amazing opportunity to go out and help the community. [spacer height=”20px”]

With the Gandhi quote, “be the change you wish to see in the world” as the slogan for the day, the seniors went out to their assignments with the focus of making an impact. Senior Rebecca Schecter says, “This opportunity to improve the community is so meaningful.  I think everyone took that to heart.”  [spacer height=”20px”]

However, not all the groups went out into the community. Some stayed on the Pine Crest campus and cleaned out the drama closet. Another group who stayed on campus got to dance with the lower schoolers, and others spent time with the lower schoolers at PC Boca. [spacer height=”20px”]

The close-knit nature of the senior class made the day even more fun, as serving the community was not only beneficial to those being helped, but those helping as well. It gave them another perspective on the lives of those who live around us, as not everyone is as fortunate as we are to go to Pine Crest and have access the resources available to us. [spacer height=”20px”]

Mr. Fitzpatrick, head of the ICI and service day organizer, wanted the seniors to know that “going out into the community not only benefits the individual organizations that we are serving, but it also demonstrates that Pine Crest students take interest in helping others, and as global citizens, care about the world around them. For seniors– though you may not realize it yet– being a student here has, and will make, a huge impact on your future. Your leadership, time, and effort contributed to the success of those programs and its constituents whether in the greater Broward community, or the Pine Crest campuses. That sense of giving back should make you feel both grateful and proud.” Many thanks to Mr. Fitzpatrick and all the other teacher volunteers who made the day meaningful for both the students and those who they helped.  [spacer height=”20px”]