Harvard Model United Nations 2015

The ladies of Model UN 2016 posed for a photo after a snowball fight in Harvard Yard after. (Via, Mr. Daniel Snyder, History Teacher)

[ot-caption title=”The ladies of Model UN 2016 posed for a photo after a snowball fight in Harvard Yard. (via, Mr. Daniel Snyder, History Teacher” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/10959324_10205925708322679_1733910279995609866_n1-e1422977145355.jpg”]

As one of the biggest snowstorms in history approached Massachusetts, the Pine Crest delegates of Model UN began to panic that their flight to Boston would be cancelled, particularly because over 6,000 flights had already been grounded. On the evening before they were set to depart, after days of listening to the weather channel in the car, checking FlightTracker between classes, and calling Jet Blue on the hourly, students received an email from Mrs. Solitto confirming that the trip was indeed on. So on Wednesday, January 28th, twenty-four juniors along with Mrs. Solitto, Mrs. Bass, and Mr. Snyder boarded the first plane out to Boston for the 62nd Harvard Model United Nations Conference (HMUN) held at the Sheraton Hotel.

Model United Nations (MUN) strives to provide students with a better understanding of the inner working of the UN and to foster skills in diplomacy and compromise, through role-play as delegates in simulations of UN committees. For over six decades, HMUN has utilized principles of experiential learning to teach delegates not only how to debate and approach issues in international relations, but also essential skills, such as public speaking, diplomacy, negotiation, and compromise. Over 3,000 student delegates from all around the world had the experience to foster global citizenship and address current world issues related to regional conflicts, peacekeeping, human rights, women and children, economic and social development, and the environment. Junior Aly Lakhani from the Environmental Committee, delegate of the Republic of Congo, discussed his time at HMUN as a, “mentally stimulating and transcendent experience that broadened my horizons and put the world in perspective. Model United Nations helped me to see the world more holistically.”

On Thursday the 29th, students from all over the United States and thirty-two different countries attended opening ceremonies for HMUN 2016. Each school was assigned to represent a different nation. For four days, Pine Crest students, equipped in Western business attire, transformed into delegates from Algeria and the Republic of Congo. Delegates gave speeches highlighting their country’s involvement and stance on the particular topic matter being discussed in their committee. Delegates from superpower countries had to work alongside delegates from extremely poor countries in order to find an outcome that best suits everyone. On the fourth day after much debate, deliberation, and compromise, the delegates all worked together to formulate a written resolution on behalf of their entire committee. Operated by Harvard undergrads, HMUN delegates were truly exposed to diverse intellects in an authentic United Nations replication. Over all, the students had an extraordinary time discussing topics of extreme importance with delegates from all over the world.