Bands of Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival

%28Okeechobee+Music+Festival%2C+senior+Rachel+Horowitz%29+
(Okeechobee Music Festival, senior Rachel Horowitz)

[ot-caption title=”Mumford and Sons will be headlining the festival this weekend. (via, Rachel Horowitz/Senior) “]

Florida’s newest music festival, Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival, in my opinion, arguably was one of the most, extraordinary overnight camping experience the state has ever seen. Rivaling the fun-spirited Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, Okeechobee Music & Arts Festival contains some of the most incredible bands, old and new. This all weekend event on March 3rd-6th encompassed the beauty of music, art, and life.

My absolute favorite band in the entire world, “Mumford & Sons,” headlined the festival. I had a hard time handling the fact that they were only an hour and a half drive away from me, and I wasn’t there, but don’t worry, I watched the live-stream. This beautiful, soul-enriching, folk-rock band from England had their major breakthrough in 2009 with their first album Sigh No More. Popular songs from this album include the upbeat, folk-rock, “Little Lion Man” and “The Cave,” which are both iconic Mumford & Sons songs that I am sure will be played at Okeechobee. When I had the opportunity to see the band this summer in Chicago, those two songs were definitely among the best heard live…it is life changing, I am telling you. Mumford & Sons rose to even more popularity in 2012 with the release of their second folk album “Babel”. My favorite song ever, “Ghost That We Knew” from this album never fails to resonate with my heart. Changing up their musical style this year, the band released their third album, Wilder Mind, this past May. Switching from soft folk-rock to more of an alternative, indie-rock, Mumford & Sons still manages to amaze me with their ever beautiful sound and meaningful lyrics.

A few other of my favorite bands, including The Oh Hellos, The Avett Brothers, and Hall & Oates, are preforming at the music festival as well. My favorite song of The Oh Hellos would definitely be “In Memoriam” on their first album. I’m sure this song played live is just incredible. The Avett Brothers is another awesome folk-rock band from North Carolina, who have some wonderful songs, including “I and Love and You”, “Live and Die”, and “Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise”. Daryl Hall & John Oates are the musical geniuses who make up “Hall & Oates” a popular band from the 1970s through the mid-80s. These rock greats have withstood time, making themselves one of the prominent headliners of the festival. I would say the most popular, iconic songs of the band would be “You Make My Dreams” and “Rich Girl.”My favorites would be “Sara Smile” and “Fall in Philadelphia.” Definitely check all these bands out if you don’t know them already.

So to anyone who went to Okeechobee, I am extremely jealous. I hope you had the best time and enjoyed every second of all the beautiful sights and sounds of the weekend.

Sources: