Venezuela and Social Media

If you have been keeping up with current events, or simply have been using social media for the last two to three weeks, you most likely have come across articles, videos, and news reports of the anti-government demonstrations in Venezuela. Peaceful, student-run protests, triggered by Venezuela’s high inflation rates, have turned into a violent, nationwide revolt against Venezuela’s apathetic President, Nicolas Maduro. The President’s attempts to prevent media coverage of the brutal conflict did not stop the country’s youth from taking action. The student population was instrumental in publicizing the violence on social media and bringing the problems to the world’s attention. The spreading of information through the young Venezuelan population highlights the impact that students can make through social media.

Teens these days are able to spread their opinion through technology faster than ever before.  While the majority of these teens are posting about insignificant events such as whether they enjoyed the school lunch or if they are hanging out with their friends, the few who are using social media to spread important world news are the ones who are making a difference.  The reason most people our age know about the violence in Venezuela is partially due to how involved these teens have been in checking their social network sites.  On Twitter, the hashtag “PrayForVenezuela” has been trending worldwide, videos created by Venezuelan students are being spread on sites such as Facebook, Youtube and Twitter, and pictures on Instagram have been inspiring others teens around the world to not only pay attention, but also to show concern.

A 15 year-old Venezuelan citizen informs us on the topic, stating, “In the beginning, no one knew about Venezuela, but after thirteen days of hard battles and struggles, it’s not near the end, and everyone not only knows who we are, but people are fighting for us, no matter how far they are from us, or how helpless it may look.  I think social media has really helped the world know about our problems and fights here.  If it weren’t for this, a lot of people would be uncertain on the situation in Venezuela.”

Her opinion on the situation reiterates how powerful teens can be these days, and how social media has become so embedded in our daily lives.  Nowadays, we are so dependent on social networking sites, and a recent Kaiser Family Foundation study states, “Kids today spend an average of 7 hours, 38 minutes a day consuming what the report calls ‘entertainment media.’”  This study shows how obsessed teens are with checking what their friends are up to and getting the inside scoop on their favorite celebrities. The next time you debate between posting a picture of your Starbucks Frappuccino or a selfie, think about the impact that you could be making by posting relevant, up-to-date news that shows your opinion and spreads the word about issues that you care about.