Senior Traditions: Fostering Unity One Privilege at a Time

via Sophie Glassman, senior

Seniors gathered in the union wearing their senior t-shirts.

Senior traditions build anticipation throughout all grade levels for eventually being able to enjoy these privileges. As a junior, I am excited to become a senior because I can dress up with my friends on Halloween, celebrate my classmates and my own senior nights in sports, journey off-campus for lunch, paint my parking spot, finish school after the end of AP Exams, and much more. These aspects of seniority contribute to the community feeling at Pine Crest.  Also, as an underclassman seeing seniors embrace this sense of community is very important. Observing and understanding what a united senior class looks like in their final year is paramount to eventually becoming one. Not only do these privileges and traditions increase grade unity, but they also contribute to the overall school unity.

Seniors have many different perspectives on which tradition they like the most.  Skylar Pollack’s favorite senior tradition is parking spot painting. She said she enjoyed “seeing the entire grade get creative and show off their school spirit.” Skylar said that simply painting a parking spot brought the grade together for a fun morning of sharing ideas.

Kylee Opperman believes that going off-campus for lunch is the best privilege because she “gets to escape and enjoy a smoothie.” Further, she enjoys leaving the stress of first semester senior year and enjoying a fun, nice lunch with friends. Throughout this year, the off-campus lunch privilege will be a nice way to spend times with all the friends she made at Pine Crest.

Grace Luciano’s favorite tradition is dressing up for Halloween at school. She remembers being a freshman and “seeing all of the seniors dress up during Halloween” which made her “excited for what was to come.” This year she loved seeing what everyone came up with and enjoyed taking pictures with all of her decked-out friends.

Isaac Masimore deemed leaving school after AP Exams as the best senior tradition. He is excited about having the extra long summer to hang out with his high school friends and say goodbye before leaving for college. For many, this also allows ample time to participate in March of the Living, get a job, or pursue any other activity they would hope to do in their summer before college.

Ryan Sullivan is most excited to celebrate with his friends during varsity sports’ senior nights.  Knowing all of the hard work he and his friends have put into their sports, he thinks of senior night as a reward “For being loyal to the program and working hard for it.” Senior night also builds team unity as underclassmen often organize gifts or speeches in honor of the seniors.

All of the seniors mentioned above picked their favorite activity based on what they believe adds the most to their individual Pine Crest experiences.  However, because of the nature of the privileges, they do not only benefit each senior individually, but also the grade and school as a whole.  Senior traditions contribute massively to Pine Crest’s grade, team, and school unity.  They are something for everyone to look forward to and an important part of the overall Pine Crest experience.