PC Panthers Show Their Creative Side During Homecoming

Seniors+work+on+building+their+throne+with+cereal+boxes+in+the+atrium.+

via Saumya Jain, junior

Seniors work on building their throne with cereal boxes in the atrium.

Homecoming is a longtime tradition at Pine Crest Upper School. It is a time of the year when students and faculty can show their school spirit, creativity, athletic ability, competitiveness, and talents in order to rack up the most spirit points for their class. They are able to show off their artistic ability in various ways such as sidewalk chalk, banners, and decorations. One special activity that shows students’ creativity is Cereal-Struction. In this activity, which took place on Wednesday, October 11, each grade level built a structure out of cereal boxes; then, spirit points were awarded for the number of donated boxes per grade, along with each class’ design creativity.

This year, the cereal was donated to Our Father’s House Soup Kitchen, which has been providing help to the South Florida community for years, and especially now following Hurricane Irma.

The seniors had by far the largest structure; they constructed a fort surrounding a chair. When asked about her thoughts on cereal-struction, senior Indira Ramgolam said, “I thought it was really cool that we chose to make a coliseum out of cereal boxes.”  The juniors constructed a pacman eating dots, the sophomores made out the year in which they will graduate, and the freshmen made towers out of the boxes.

Juniors show their finished design: pacman eating dots along with their class year. (via Saumya Jain, junior)

As with every other Pine Crest activity, Cereal-Struction gives students a time to have fun but still give back by helping the community. Pine Crest Panthers went all out to show their class spirit through activities like these from Monday through Thursday, coming together to show their school spirit on Friday for the pep rally and football game.