Why Exercising is Just as Important as Studying

Photo+adopted+from%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fptpioneer%2F48834377862+
Photo adopted from: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ptpioneer/48834377862

Although opening up your schedule to exercise during a stressful week can be challenging, it is important to maintain a regular weekly workout routine. Many view exercising as an optional activity that comes after schoolwork in a ranking of importance; however, there are multiple studies that state otherwise. Exercising can help you perform substantially better academically, further increasing your physical health while simultaneously boosting your grades. 

Performing physical activities like going to the gym, running, or playing a sport can improve your ability to pay attention inside and out of the classroom. Dr. John Ratey, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, said, “(Exercise) optimizes your mindset to improve alertness, attention, and motivation…it prepares and encourages nerve cells to bind to one another, which is the cellular basis for logging in new information.” 

In addition to Ratey’s finds, there are also studies that prove physically active students produce a greater quality of academic work in comparison to other students. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “higher physical activity and physical fitness levels are associated with improved cognitive performance among students.” Not only does making time for exercise help improve a student’s organizational skills, but it also helps improve their discipline and motivation to stay on a consistent schedule. Sam Disick ‘27, an athlete who values the importance of exercise, says, “I like playing sports because it’s a great way to have fun and inch closer to my fitness goals.”

Other than improving academic performance, exercise also improves mental wellbeing. As Lexi Marino ‘27, a member of the JV Cheer Team, says, “I enjoy cheering because I like bonding with my team while staying fit at the same time.” Even though some people view exercising or team sports as burdens or wastes of time, it is quite beneficial in terms of improving overall wellbeing.