Smunday Funday: A “National Holiday” Sweeping the Football Nation

[ot-caption title=”(From left to right) Freshmen Raul Cepero, Ryan Morris, and Noah See sport their favorite football teams’ jerseys. (via Anna Selden, sophomore)”]

Whether caused by the over consumption of wings or one too many chips from the night before, the productivity of workers is destined to take a hit on this upcoming Monday, February 6th.  With such low productivity, people have been petitioning for the national status of “Smunday” as its own holiday. [spacer height=”20px”]

Super Bowl LI took place this Sunday, February 5th, at the NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. With tickets starting at a pricey $2,000 per piece, many Americans will sooner take to their couch to indulge in good football, great food, and even better company. The four-time champion New England Patriots will be playing against the Atlanta Falcons, a team yet to win a Super Bowl. [spacer height=”20px”]

Last year’s game concluded with an average high of 115.5 million people tuning in. According to Heinz, a company advocating for national recognition of “Smunday,” over 16 million workers called in sick the day following the “Big Game,” and millions more punched in late. With so much pride lying in the day that defines American football, many are beginning to question the legitimacy of having to go to work the next morning.  Due to lack of productivity, our country loses, on average, a billion dollars on the day after the Super Bowl, leading many to wonder why it has taken so long for people to take a stand. [spacer height=”20px”]

Kraft Heinz is giving all salaried employees a day-off from work on the Monday following the Super Bowl. The goal of “Smunday” is to relieve Americans from holding back on Super Bowl Sunday celebrations in anticipation of work the next morning, and to alleviate the country from “the worst workday of the year.” Heinz will not stop within its company, though. Instead, they seek to make “Smunday” a national holiday. Heinz has taken this effort beyond workplace doors, creating an online petition that they will take to Congress upon the 100,000th signature. [spacer height=”20px”]

Some Pine Crest students are hoping the “Smunday” spirit spreads into the classroom.  Junior Michael Blyer agrees, in part, with Heinz’s visionary initiative. He believes that if students are required to come to school at all, “the next day should be lenient; no tests allowed.” And if students choose to stay home, “there should be no penalty for not coming.”  His rationale is that “the large amount of people that view the Super Bowl is reason enough to have a lenient day-after.” Junior Bailey Finkelberg agrees, stating “I, like many Americans, stay up late watching the game; the the next day should at least be lenient, giving me some time to catch up on sleep”. [spacer height=”20px”]

But many disagree, saying that this national holiday would set an unfair precedent that is impossible to maintain.  “If the day after the Super Bowl becomes a national holiday, the same protocol would need to be followed for things like the World Series, Election day, and the Inauguration,” says junior Julie David.  This day-after holiday could end up fostering even less productivity, with employees distracted for multiple days surrounding every national event.  [spacer height=”20px”]

Others oppose on the premise that a sports game, though widely viewed, is not reason enough to detract from education or work.  “There should not be a holiday on Monday following the Super Bowl. It starts at the reasonable time of 7P.M and normally ends at about 11P.M., which is around the average teenage bedtime,” says Julie.  She adds that “students and professionals have Friday, all day Saturday, and until 7P.M. on Sunday to prepare for Monday; there is no reason to take the day off.” [spacer height=”20px”]

The question of whether “Smunday” would be bring extra levity to such a grand and patriotic event or create an excessive excuse to blow-off responsibilities is still up for debate.  However, Heinz is putting up a big fight for its argument.  Though the day after the Super Bowl is not currently a reality, it could be in years to come. Now, it is up to the American people to decide whether to sign the Heinz petition or speak out against “Smunday.” [spacer height=”20px”]

Sources: Variety, UPI, Office Pulse, Fox News, Change.org