Three New Albums by Lesser Known Artists

[ot-caption title=” Kadin Katsch listens to music during with Spotify. (via Jessi Gross, sophomore)”] [spacer height=”20px”]

Nightride – Tinashe [spacer height=”20px”]

Tinashe’s second digital release is, put in the simplest terms, all about her – and that’s why it works. Nightride, written mostly by Tinashe herself, offers 15 tracks which include three short interludes. These serve to say what she could not say – well, sing – during the rest of the album, since she did not feature any other artists. Tinashe delivers her message about being independent through mysterious, compelling lyrics like, “If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that it’s up to me/If it’s my life then nobody gonna tell me how to live it/They can’t see the way I see it through my eyes,” from her opening track, “Lucid Dreaming.” Her voice in Nightride is not as dynamic as it was on her first album, Aquarius, but it carries the same light, sultry allure. The singer-songwriter brings something new to R&B, creating a dark and experimental sound that leaves fans eagerly awaiting her upcoming album Joyride. [spacer height=”20px”]

[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-2HH182mvI” width=”1000″ height=”800″ responsive=”no”] [spacer height=”20px”]

Layers – Kungs [spacer height=”20px”]
Kungs, a 19 year old French DJ/producer, became popular this summer from his sensational remix of “This Girl,” a song by Australian funk trio Cookin’ On 3 Burners. His debut album, Layers, captures the fun, summery essence of his chart-topping track and much more. Kungs introduces his own signature style of classic soul-inspired melodies and instrumentals smoothly blended with modern deep house beats. That being said, he also brings an impressive range of emotional variety to his album, with tracks ranging from his playful, repetitive “Don’t You Know” (feat. Jaime N. Commons) to “I Feel So Bad” (feat. Ephemerals,) which evokes the catchy laments of Robin Schulz’s 2014 remix of “Prayer in C.” All in all, his album will make every listener feel good. [spacer height=”20px”]

[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SVk3adkchY” width=”1000″ height=”800″ responsive=”no”] [spacer height=”20px”]

Eternally Even – Jim James [spacer height=”20px”]

For those who normally listen to alternative music, or even those who do not, Jim James’ new album Eternally Even offers something to everyone. Eternally Even is crafted to sound like a soothing yet grim trip through space and time, during which he reflects upon the flaws of society and life itself. In the second track, “Same Old Lie,” he croons the lines “It’s the same old lie you’ve been reading ‘bout, bleeding out, now who’s getting cheated out?” and “if you don’t vote, it’s on you, not me,” a sharp criticism of politics that many Americans can relate to this election cycle. This hypnotic album recalls 60’s and 70’s psychedelia-funk and mixes it with spacey synths, giving it a unique edginess slightly evocative of other artists like Movement and Glass Animals. Jim James has been in music for well over 20 years, but Eternally Even is unlike anything he’s done before and it deserves a listen. [spacer height=”20px”]

[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ciI0la6DM” width=”1000″ height=”800″ responsive=”no”] [spacer height=”20px”]

All three albums are out now on iTunes, Spotify, and other music streaming services. Additionally, Tinashe’s complete album is available for free on her YouTube channel found here.