Getting Ready for Dance Etc

[ot-caption title=”The Dance Etc cast rehearsing in the dance studio. (via Julia Morrissey, sophomore)”] [spacer height=”20px”]

The Dance Etc company has been busy preparing for its first show of the year, which will be on December 9th in Stacy Auditorium during the school day. The Dance Etc company is a Pine Crest dance group that rehearses after school from 5:30 to 7:30 twice a week. There are thirty-six members in the company, ranging from middle school to high school students.  Many dancers join this program in addition to the dance classes that they may take during school hours.  The company performs two shows annually, one in the winter and one in the spring. [spacer height=”20px”]

The upcoming winter performance has dances in many genres, as well as dances choreographed by a wide variety of Pine Crest faculty members.  This year’s dances are choreographed by more than just the dance teachers. There is a lyrical piece choreographed by Middle School math teacher Mr. Nesbitt and a ballet piece choreographed by Upper School Spanish teacher Mrs. Zingg.[spacer height=”20px”]

“Working with Sra. Zingg has been an incredible experience,” junior Juanita Garcia said. “I’ve had her as a Spanish teacher for almost three years now, but it’s completely different having her as a choreographer. She’s incredibly well-versed in dance terminology and technique, so bringing her choreography to life has been a great experience. I think everyone in her piece is very excited for the rest of the school to be able to see it because it’s different than typical Dance Etc pieces.” [spacer height=”20px”]

Dance teachers Mrs. Gooden, Mrs. Boyd, and Mrs. Cichoski choreographed the remaining dances.[spacer height=”20px”]

“I hate to say it, but they are all my favorites this year,” Mrs. Cichoski said.  “It’s like picking your favorite child- you can’t do it!  They are all great in their own unique way!” [spacer height=”20px”]

Mrs. Cichoski choreographed a tap and lyrical piece and Mrs. Gooden choreographed excerpts from the ballet La Bayadera. Mrs. Boyd added an interesting twist on a contemporary piece she choreographed by having the students perform in socks in addition to choreographing the finale with all company members.[spacer height=”20px”]

In the upcoming December performance, the dances are choreographed by the aforementioned faculty members, but in the spring performance, most of the dances are choreographed by the students. The dancers are able to learn more than just their routines.  Senior Hailey Karten has performed in Dance Etc since 6th grade. [spacer height=”20px”]

“I think it [Dance Etc] is a chance to express creativity and apply what I’ve learned over the years to create a piece and to learn from my peers,” Karten said.[spacer height=”20px”]

The dancers in the company are excited for their performance and cannot wait to show all of their hard work to the student body. [spacer height=”20px”]