Cubs Make History With Pennant Victory

[ot-caption title=”Cubs manager Joe Maddon knows what’s at stake for the city of Chicago in 2016.”] [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

1908 was the last time the Chicago Cubs won baseball’s World Series, predating even the First World War. This 108-year drought is the longest gap between championships of any team in American sports. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The Cubs have been America’s “lovable losers” for much of their history. Their last World Series appearance was in 1945, and their next chance at victory has been 71 years in the making.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

This year’s “Cubbies,” as their fans have nicknamed them, stand out from any previous Chicago roster, a team balanced by young, energetic talent and wily baseball veterans. Aided by their incredible pitching, the Cubs have had the best record in all of Major League Baseball this season. They entered the World Series with 103 victories under their belt. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

With a history of choking, coupled with guarded optimism of this special season, Cubs fans are feeling a unique mix of excitement and nerves. Some fans are confident of a Chicago win, including junior and well-known sports fan, Julie David.

“Cubs [will win] in 6 if Jake Arietta Pitches as he usually does,” Julie said.

Even President Obama, a Chicago native but lifelong White Sox fan, tweets, “I’ll say it: Holy Cow. @Cubs fans. Even this White Sox fan was happy to see Wrigley rocking last night #FlyTheW.” [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

It is clear that Cubs are favored by American baseball fans in this year’s World Series. Unless, of course, you are from Cleveland, since the Indians have not won a World Series in 68 years. However with LeBron and the Cavaliers winning their first ever NBA title, they can wait a little longer. Chicago is ready to end their fated curse in 2016. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Source: ESPN, Twitter