Fighting For Us: Hillary In Miami

[ot-caption title=”Hillary Clinton addressing supporters in Miami on April 12th, 2016. (via Lisa Zheutlin, junior)”]

As the race to the White House continues, Democratic Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton attended a fundraising event on Tuesday, April 12th, 2016 (which also happened to be Equal Pay Day!) in Miami, Florida. This much-anticipated event marked Hillary’s return to Florida after her landslide victory in March in the Florida primary. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

After an airport-like screening, hundreds of Hillary supporters flocked into the Hilton in Miami to hear the Democratic nominee’s address. The event also featured actress Kristin Davis, Texan Congressman Joaquin Castro, and music legend Carole King.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Kristin Davis, best known for her starring roles in Sex In the City and Melrose Place, began the event by speaking about Hillary as a candidate. Then, Joaquin Castro took the stage and gave a speech relaying why he supports Clinton. Castro mentioned that despite the talk on the “other side” being so divisive, Hillary will be able to bring the country together. The excitement was palpable as Carole King strutted on stage to perform three songs. Beginning with “I Feel the Earth Move,” King stated that despite people talking about where the “spirit” is (alluding to Sanders’ support), she knows that it is “right here,” with the Clinton campaign. King went on to perform her song “Beautiful,” which also happens to be the title of the Broadway musical based on her life. Closing with “You’ve Got A Friend,” King received a standing ovation from the audience as they prepared for Hillary’s much-awaited arrival. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

After the opening speakers and performers, Hillary Clinton walked on stage to the crowd’s resounding applause and shrieks. Clinton expressed her gratitude for not only David, Castro, and King, but also for her Floridian supporters. Despite vigorous campaigning in the state of New York, Clinton managed to take some time away from the Big Apple to come down to the Sunshine State, but not without a little hesitation. Clinton revealed, “I was thinking about coming down here because you know I am campaigning really hard in New York right now because we have a primary Tuesday.” She then went on to tell the audience to email, call, and text their friends in New York to tell them to vote in the primary next Tuesday, April 19th. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Clinton went on to address the Republican front-runner, Donald Trump, and did not fail to mention that she has gotten more votes than anyone in either party thus far. She indicated that some people question why she talks about Donald Trump so much when she still needs to win the Democratic nomination. To address these questions, she said that she has to talk about him because she needs to defend the people whom he has openly criticized, such as immigrants and Muslims. Clinton stated, “I am getting worried messages from people who are asking, ‘What is going on in your country?’…They’re worried. They’re concerned.“ Clinton said that most of the world views the President of the United States as having the most important government job in the world, and that she has a “checklist” of qualifications needed to become president. On this topic, Clinton stated, “Can you improve peoples’ lives, make positive differences and protect our rights? Can you protect us as a nation? Work together to protect our friends our partners and our allies? And then finally, can you unify our country? And we are in great need to be unified; we are strongest when we act together. As Lincoln said, ‘A house divided against itself cannot stand,’ and there has been too much divisiveness, too much mean-spiritedness in these campaigns.” [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Moving on to discuss what she stands for as a candidate, Clinton first mentioned the need to enact equal pay for men and women, which received a standing ovation from all women in the audience. This seemed to be opportune timing, as she gave this address on Equal Pay Day. Then, she stressed the importance of protecting Planned Parenthood and a woman’s right to choose. Clinton highlighted the need for immigration reform, as well as the protection of Israel. On the topic of marriage equality, Clinton said one should not be able to get married Saturday, post the photos of the marriage on Facebook Sunday, and get fired Monday. As for college affordability, Clinton made a comparison and said if one is able to refinance a home mortgage, then one should be able to refinance student loans, as well. Lastly, she emphasized the importance of defending LGBT communities from discrimination. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Making her speech more personal to the state of Florida, Clinton addressed climate change by mentioning how Florida’s governor, Rick Scott, whose name brought with it boos from the audience, will not allow those working for him to say the words “climate change.” She then said that when Republicans respond to questions about climate change by saying “I’m not a scientist,” Clinton tells them to go talk to a scientist to learn about the phenomenon. Continuing the Florida theme, Clinton praised Miami’s diversity and said that this diversity is what the entire country needs. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Ending her speech by stating that the goal is a victory in November, the crowd rushed to the stage as Clinton is known to talk to and take selfies with the members of the audience. During this process, a disabled woman in a wheelchair was trying to get through to get a photo with Clinton, but was struggling due to the large crowd. Once Clinton realized what was going on, she reprimanded those who would not let the woman through, and was able to get a photo with the supporter. This was an especially moving sight as it summed up Hillary Clinton as a candidate: compassionate, yet stern when the time calls for it, and able to get things done. [spacer height=”20px”]

Sources: IMDB, FCIR