The Power of Taylor Swift

[ot-caption title=”Taylor Swift’s popularity has skyrocketed over the past few years. (via, Brian Meller/ 11th Grade)”]

After winning 4 awards at the iHeartradio Music awards and essentially telling her fans there will be a long wait until her next album, it seemed like Taylor Swift would be out of public eye for a while but that assumption was more than wrong. Swift released the first of three ads she made with Apple for their new music subscription service, and it took over the Internet.

The ad, which you can watch below, featured Swift overcoming her dislike for cardio by using the pre-made playlists on Apple Music. She chooses the #Gymflow playlist and a popular Drake & Future collaboration song comes on. As she starts running she raps along with the song and gets very into it. So into it that when she falls off the treadmill, she doesn’t even stop singing. The commercial takes advantage of Swift’s charming awkwardness and clumsy dance moves to make Swift seem like the average person who needs motivation to exercise.

With all of the other music streaming services out there such as Spotify, Apple is working hard to get users to switch. Junior Dani Swords explained that although she thinks the commercial was good because it showed off Apple music, she “already spent so much more time than I should have making playlists on Spotify that it would be pointless and inconvenient for me to start using Apple Music”. Senior Hailey Weinberg thinks that although the commercial is somewhat funny, she doesn’t think it would really make her use Apple Music either. “It definitely grabs people’s attention to look at Apple Music, but I wouldn’t care enough to go check it out because of all the different ways I can listen to music,” said Hailey.

While it  may not have enticed students at PC to try out Apple Music, the commercial did have a major impact. The song featured in the commercial, “Jumpman,”experienced a 431 percent increase in sales and the #Gymflow playlist’s use grew by 325 percent. Also, the commercial itself has garnered over 60,000 re-tweets on Twitter, 13 million views on Youtube, and 20 million views on Facebook and Instagram.

Swift’s commercial is only the latest of her partnership with Apple Music. It all started last fall when she wrote an open letter to Apple about why she wouldn’t put her music on their new service and single-handedly changed Apple’s policies about artist compensation for the three-month trial. Swift then added her music, an exclusive tour movie, and most recently an exclusive music video for the subscribers of the service. Even with her music hiatus coming up soon, it doesn’t seem like her partnership will slow down anytime soon. Apple is skillfully taking advantage of the power of Taylor Swift at its peak. They already have two filmed commercials coming out soon and an even bigger campaign being planned now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_zwl-lnmc

Sources:

Billboard.com, EW.com, Apple.com/music/, YouTube.com