Winter Dance Etc. 2015 Preview

[ot-caption title=”All of the dancers are practicing hard to get ready for the show. (via, Ben Pierce/Freshman)”]

Fresh off the success of A Christmas Carol, the Pine Crest Dance Department is already getting ready for their next performance, Dance Etc. Dance Etc. is a compilation of student and faculty choreographed dances that are all different genres. In recent years, there have been dances ranging from a classical ballet piece from Swan Lake to a modern piece choreographed to John Legend’s “All of Me.”

This year’s winter Dance Etc., will take place Friday, December 11th during an assembly for the whole high school to watch and is fully teacher-choreographed. The two companies, Junior and Senior, will be performing seven dances during the 45-minute assembly period. This year the styles range from classical ballet to jazz, with one piece even choreographed to an undisclosed popular hit. When I asked junior Hailey Karten, she said, “I’m not allowed to say any of the songs, but I am excited to watch the audience’s reaction when they hear them.”

Senior Megan O’Brien who has been dancing at Pine Crest for five and a half years shares, “This (dance) season has been more challenging than all others because of the emotional connection I have with one of the pieces.” Megan explains that this specific piece has taught her how to act while dancing. Even though it was hard for her, she has enjoyed the process and is so happy to be performing alongside her fellow senior, Lauren Valad.

Last year, one of the stand-out pieces was the modern dance piece choreographed by junior Lindsey Robertson. Even though she is not choreographing any pieces this year, Lindsey remarks, “It has always been an amazing experience for me. I have always loved Dance Etc. because it gives me the option to explore different types of dance, from classical ballet to modern to tap. Even if it’s only twice a year for forty- five minutes, the thrill I get from being onstage performing is unmatched.” This will mark Lindsey’s fifth year in Dance Etc. and she says she is definitely going to be choreographing for the Dance Etc. in the spring.

While it may seem like the dancers haven’t had a lot of time to practice because the ballet was only two weeks ago, the dancers actually had auditions for this showcase back in September. Although they did have fewer rehearsals during the weeks leading up to the ballet, they have still been working hard throughout the fall, so it is sure to be an amazing performance.