National Suicide Prevention Month

[ot-caption title=”The non-profit organization To Write Love On Her Arms works to spread awareness about suicide prevention.  During National Suicide Prevention month this year, they encouraged everyone to change their social media avatars to this picture. (via, TWLOHA/Google)”]

Suicide; it seems like even speaking the word out loud makes us feel self conscious.  Our brains and bodies would rather ignore all of the darkness that surrounds mental illness, so most of the time, we simply pretend that it isn’t a real problem.  Like most difficult discussions, however, the conversations we dread most are the ones of crucial importance.   This discussion is a conversation that needs to be had.

After cancer and heart disease, suicide accounts for one of the highest number of deaths in the United States.  The month of September has been declared National Suicide Prevention Month in order to try to change this statistic.  We, as members of the Pine Crest community, must rally together through assemblies and group discussions in order to raise awareness for this cause.

The purpose of this month is to better understand mental illness and the ways it affects the brain.  By doing this, students can begin to stop dehumanizing people who suffer, labeling them with a stigma.  Students who are suffering need to understand that there are ways out. In addition, students who are not dealing with such troubles need to be perceptive and willing to help those struggling within their community.  The only way to accomplish this is by informing the student body of the resources available. This may be a counselor, teacher, or an online organization, but being informed of the options is most important.

NSPW2014-TitleLogoProfileImage
Usually black and white, TWLOHA changes its logo to orange, the color for suicide prevention. (TWLOHA/Google)

Fortunately, organizations have been established across the country in order to help raise awareness about suicide. To Write Love on Her Arms, also known as TWLOHA, is one of these organizations. Founded in Florida, Jamie Tworkowski created TWLOHA after he cared for a struggling friend who eventually received the treatment she needed. This event inspired him to create a non-profit organization in order to raise money for others in need of treatment.   Even more than that, it allows those struggling with mental illness to have a place to talk to others with no judgements, and it allows the community to be better informed about how they can help.  All benefits are expressions of creativity that include concerts, open mic nights, and merchandise sales run by supporters of the charity.

On the TWLOHA website, Jamie shares the key to a safe environment for those suffering saying, “Love is something better. I have been challenged and changed, reminded that love is that simple answer to so many of our hardest questions. Don Miller says we’re called to hold our hands against the wounds of a broken world, to stop the bleeding. I agree so greatly.”

Mrs. Promnitz, Assistant Head of Upper School, shares a similar belief. She feels that it is crucial for students to feel comfortable with people in their community and to be well acquainted with the supplies available to them. Mrs. Promnitz is a firm believer that we must all be there for each other. She declares, “awareness of mental health disorders and diseases is important, but acceptance is essential. There is a social stigma surrounding mental health discussions, which often prevents progress. Talking about depression, anxiety, stress, body image, and other topics that plague our society does not result in increased occurrences, but does result in honest dialogue and a better understanding of others.” She also reminds us to “make sure that people feel heard, seen and connected.”

People across America are suffering and struggling to see that their lives ARE worth it. There is help and your voice is important.  It is time that we speak out to demolish this issue, not only as individuals, but as a school. We have several assemblies in which we learn about serious topics such as drunk driving and cyber bullying. We learn about the terrible events on 9/11 and the Holocaust.  Like any other issue, the only way to improve is by being aware and educated. Perhaps an assembly regarding suicide awareness could be added to the list. Suicide prevention does not need to end with the month; it should be a continuing conversation.

Sources: TWLOHA, afsp