Robotics Team: A PC Push into Competitive Electronics

[ot-caption title= “An arduino (or micro controller) kit in a briefcase set up at the iLab. (via, Sophie Glassman, Sophomore)”]

With the creation of the new innovation laboratory, known as the iLab, and hiring of two specialists, Pine Crest has invested significantly into the realm of engineering.  This stimulating environment now grants all students  the opportunity to explore the mechanical, electrical, and computer fields of engineering before entering college. These applied sciences can be elegantly culminated in the form of robotics that makes judicious use of all three disciplines. Found at the rear of the Egan library, this space features micro controller computing in the form of arduinos, MakerBot 3D printers, and a host of other technical hardware devices; all of these devices are equipped with a set of computers that integrate advanced software and hardware to form a genuine engineering experience. While this area is open for use for all students, any student who has a deep, passionate interest in mechanics and electrical engineering should consider joining the recently formed robotics team.

ilab3
Student working on small computing and robotic devices at the iLab. (via Sophie Gassman, Sophomore)

Pine Crest recently created two male teams and one female team, each with approximately eight people, who will compete in regional and state level competitions in the form of the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC). These small, but elite teams are made up of specific positions including: a mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer, a computer engineer, and a marketing/legal expert. Most of these positions are self-explanatory, but they each require different skill sets. The mechanical engineer’s priority is the movement and physics of the robot while the electrical engineer focuses on wiring and electricity to power the robot. The advanced computer sets come into play with the computer engineers, who create the robot’s software as well as some of the hardware associated with the robot’s computations. Even though the marketing and legal sphere may not work hands on with the robot, this position will focus on distributing team information, like competitions, and composing the necessary documentation. Currently, Pine Crest’s three teams are getting ready to begin production mode for their first FTC competition; their robot must be able to capture and get plastic balls into containers to receive points through some mechanism similar to catapulting.

In addition to the student body, the iLab specialists, Mr. Trask and Mr. Delgado, seem very animated about this novel introduction to the school. Mr. Delgado exclaims, “I am very excited for what the future will hold for the newly formed robotics team at Pine Crest.”

Two MakerBot 3D printers present at the innovation laboratory. (via Sophie Glassman, sophomore)
Two MakerBot 3D printers present at the innovation laboratory. (via Sophie Glassman, Sophomore)

With the robotics season starting up in mid-September, it is evident that this is just the inception of Pine Crest’s engineering journey. Much dedication and long hours during and after school will be put in to ensure a high-quality, competitive robot that can challenge the established robotics teams of South Florida. One of the early robotics team members, Junior Jacob Zipper, shares proudly, “There is no infinite loop of excitement that could add up to my excitement for robotics.” While time will be the ultimate indicator for the future of the robotics team, there is certainly much enthusiasm and anticipation for the group that bravely embarks on this electronic venture.

Sources: Pine Crest, FTC