Girls’ Volleyball Reaches State Tournament for First Time Since 2007

[ot-caption title=”Proud of their achievement: Pine Crest players join together after being beaten by Gainesville P.K. Yonge on Thursday night in Kissimmee. (via Phelan M. Ebenhack, Miami Herald)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/fvb.jpg”]

The girl’s volleyball team had a remarkable season this fall, finishing with a 23-9 record, and playing especially well as of late. These hard-working girls have been practicing since the end of July and clearly their work has paid off. In the past 7 years, this is the furthest the Lady Panthers have gone on a quest to a state title, as the Lady Panthers haven’t reached the state tournament since 2007.

Sophomore setter Kylie Bruder gave her insight on the team’s performance. “I am really proud we can make it this far, it’s the farthest I’ve made it in a season in three years. I am really proud of these girls and that we could overcome adversity to go this far.”

The girls have certainly done that this year, winning a nail biter against Ransom Everglades, 16-14, two weeks ago to become the Class 4A Region 4 champions. Just when it looked like the Raiders would win, serving the match point leading 14-11, the Panthers came back to win the next five points, stunning last year’s class 4A state champions.

Sophomore outside hitter and Type One’s own Ariana Altieri was huge in that late Panther rally, delivering 2 key kills in the final five points, to give her 16 kills overall.

Before leaving for the state final four in Kissimmee, last Tuesday, Coach Sturgeon expressed his excitement about playing on such a big stage. “I am looking forward to it. I think it is a great opportunity. It’s really about relinquishing the moment. I am extremely proud of the girls because of how hard they have been and continue to work. The process started three years ago and has led to great success.” On Wednesday the team had a remarkable victory against the Academy of the Holy Names in the state championship semifinals, winning in 4 sets, 25-20, 25-16, 23-25, and 25-16. On Thursday the girls were put to the true test… the state finals!

The Lady Panthers put aside all distractions and fought hard against P.K. Yonge, the second ranked team in Florida, regardless of class, and the 36th ranked team in the entire nation. However, the Lady Panthers ultimately fell to P.K Yonge in three sets, losing 25-16, 25-18, and 25-15.

Senior captain Sara Shmueli gave her remarks, following last Thursday’s match. “Going into the final game, I told everyone how proud I was to get to the finals. And, I said from the start, we started as a team and it only makes sense that we finish as a team. Getting to states truly was a team effort. Everyone had such meaningful and significant contributions. The bench was always cheering, loud, and energetic, and everyone on the court worked extremely hard and fought for every point. Although we ended on a loss, it really is a win in my book. We finished the season as one; we left it all on the court. And, that’s what it’s all about.”

Congratulations to the girls on their runner up finish at the state tournament, and thank you for such an exciting and historical season.