Seniors Spice Up Halloween with Annual Tradition

[ot-caption title=”Seniors Brigitte Blanco and Gen Selden as Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man from Spongebob Squarepants. (Via Ruchika Sharma, Senior)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Spongebob-Halloween-Picture.jpg”]

Last Friday, Pine Crest seniors continued a long-standing school tradition as they dressed up in costumes to display their Halloween spirit. The Class of 2015 showcased their creativity, sense of humor, and originality with their unique and imaginative costumes. While there were a select few who did not participate in the festivities, most everyone else donned group or individual costumes ranging from comical to scary.

I took to the halls of Pine Crest to ask students what costumes they enjoyed the most. Seniors Matt Cibene and Nicole Schwartz told me that their favorite costumes so far were Ben Fiedler’s and Aevin Sanjay’s “Teletubbies” costumes. When asked for his inspiration on the costume, Ben simply replied, “My childhood.” Arielle Rozencwaig and Bella Polley said their favorite costume of the day was Yamile Godoy’s reinterpretation of Flo, The Progressive Girl. When I spoke to Yamile later on, she confided that the reason she chose the costume was because of recent comments she had received about how she and Flo looked similar. Those comments were definitely correct, because when she put up a picture of Flo next to her, it was hard to determine much difference between the two.

Many of the other fan favorites included partner costumes, such as Christian Hyatt and Ellie Botoman as children from the indie movie, Moonrise Kingdom. They pulled off their costumes with a hipster vibe appropriate for the characters, and demonstrated their inventiveness with homemade accessories including Boy Scout patches and binoculars. Another partner duo of Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man, worn by Gen Selden and Brigitte Blanco, turned heads as a 90s blast from the past. It seemed that everyone still loves Spongebob Squarepants so many years later.

Other inventive ideas included pun-based costumes.  Alexis Kesselman and Julia Sabra got a few chuckles with their costume, “Pigs in a Blanket.” Even teachers joined in, with English teacher Ms. Jenkins going as a “Freudian Slip” (wearing a slip inscribed with famous Freudian concepts, such as the Id and Ego).

The senior class made last Friday a memorable one, as they exuded Halloween spirit from head to toe in well thought out costumes that made even administration laugh. Whether the outfits were homemade, store-bought, or thrown together last minute, everyone had fun participating in a yearly tradition made to bring everyone together for some entertainment.