Live and Let Live: Tolerance at the Pine

2012 was sure to bring changes to the Pine, but the most unexpected one was guest speaker Marc Elliot who many students have claimed as “the best speaker we have ever had after over a decade of being here” (I’m talking about you, lifers). Marc Elliot discussed his battle with Tourette’s syndrome along with other medical conditions. I’m not sure if  he was liked at first because everyone was expecting him to scream the obscenities associated with Tourette’s in the media, but he was definitely a hit by the end of assembly. Elliot walked out of PC with a fan base wanting to take pictures with him and bombarding his Facebook page later in the evening. What Elliot was able to do was teach Pine Crest to be a little bit more accepting of the different kid in the room by preaching, “live and let live.” His philosophy is simple: don’t bother someone, and he won’t bother you. Sounds easy enough to live by, right?

As much as Marc Elliot inspired students, it’s important to note that there are students spreading the tolerance message around PC as well. The Pine Crest student organization, Words That Hurt,  help teach middle school students about being nice to people who are different.  We really just have to live and let live, and cut the drama. Like most speakers we’ve had over the years advise, we just need to walk away illustrating acceptance, rather than showcasing disrespect.