Super Bowl… Or Pre-Season Game?

Wow… what a horrible game.

Congratulations to the Seahawks, but boy, was that game boring to watch. Peyton and Co. just didn’t come to the field ready to perform, as they were behind after only twelve seconds into the game. The first snap for the Broncos sailed over the head of Manning into the end zone, and from that moment on it seemed like the Seahawks defense just had Peyton’s number.  Following the safety, the Broncos’ defense was able to hold the Seahawks to a field goal, which was about the closest thing that Denver had to a highlight all night.  Shortly after, Manning came out and threw a quick pick, which led to another Seattle field goal.
At this point it was 8-0 after the first quarter, and the Broncos’ high-caliber offense had an astonishing ZERO points and eleven yards. The number one offense EVER was held to eleven yards in the opening quarter of its most important game!  Regardless, Manning probably felt like he could still get his guys back into it, but the ‘Hawks felt otherwise.
Quickly into the second quarter, running back Marshawn Lynch took the rock into the end zone from one yard out, which gave the ‘Hawks a 15-0 lead. At this point, Broncos fans were getting nervous, but hope still remained; plus, they had the best player in the league on their side. However, on his next drive, Peyton threw his second interception; this time, it was a pick-six by Malchom Smith, who was a seventh round pick in the 2011 Draft.  Now, it was 22-0, and football fans all around the world were just hoping that Peyton could make it a game.
However, the Seahawks would have none of it. Peyton couldn’t get anything going, and the Broncos did not score their first point until a garbage-time touchdown pass to Demaryious Thomas at the end of the third quarter. These were the Broncos’ only points of the night, as they ended up losing 43-8 in an extremely disappointing effort.
The Super Bowl MVP was awarded to Malcolm Smith, who, in addition to his pick-six, finished with nine tackles and a recovered fumble. Other players who could have won MVP were Kam Chancellor, who finished with 10 tackles and 2 pass deflections, along with Percy Harvin, who finished with 50 rushing/receiving yards as well as an 87 yard kickoff return touchdown to start the second half.
Overall, this game will go down as arguably one of, if not, the worst Super Bowls ever.  Once again, the old saying proved true, “offense wins games, but defense wins championships.” This Seahawks’ defense, nicknamed “LOB” or “Legion of Boom,” was the best in almost all important defensive categories throughout the year.  On Super Bowl Sunday, this unit proved why they should be considered among the greatest defenses of all time. They completely shut down one of the greatest quarterbacks ever AND made it look easy. I’m not sure who is going to be able to stop them in years to come, but I do know one thing: I definitely would not want to have to face Seattle anytime soon.