“Dance Etc.” Review

Many of Pine Crest’s dancers’ stole the stage in Stacey Auditorium this past Wednesday, November 20th, during their performance of “Dance Etc.” Unlike in the past, this year’s “Dance Etc.” was not held as an assembly for the Upper School during the day, but was showcased after school at 4 p.m. The performance started with the classical ballet of Raymonda. Junior Liz Poppiti and senior William Keiser were the leads of this elegant production, and impressed the crowd with their wonderful leaps and pirouettes. After that first performance, students showed off their dance skills to more modern music, including songs by The XX, Duffy and Pink.

The “Dance Etc.” crew was divided between the Junior Company, consisting of middle school students, and the Senior Company, made up of all Upper School students. Even though the show took place after school, the members could not wait to perform the dances they had been practicing for the past 2 months. Senior Laura Rivas who has been dancing for “Dance Etc.” for 3 years said, “It was so nice of our senior class to support us and to make signs in our support. We all enjoyed the big ballet piece. Overall, it was a great show!”

Senior Charly Moretto does a stellar job in her last "Dance Etc." performance.
Senior Charly Moretto does a stellar job in her last “Dance Etc.” performance. Photo: Alana Steinberg

The pieces performed brought lots of energy to the crowd. Several students made huge signs for their friends dancing, and one sense the excitement in the crowd as the dancers performed. When asked about the assembly, senior Matt Gerrard noted, “My favorite thing about the performance was the way the dancers moved so passionately. I am super excited to see them in the next performance”. Jillian Samowitz, another senior who is part of the dance department, commented, “I really enjoy Dance Etc.. I wish it was still during school hours, but I understand there are scheduling problems. I think if it was during the school [day], more people could go see it”.

Overall, everyone who went to see the performance had positive comments. From the music, to the superb choreography, to the form of our very own talented PC dancers, the showcase was truly quite the production. Congratulations to all the seniors who performed, and the rest of the high school dancers are sure to carry on the tradition of “Dance Etc.” for many years to come.