Tragic Death of NFL Star’s Son

The two year-old son of NFL superstar Adrian Peterson passed away last Friday, October 11th.   Joseph Robert Patterson, the boyfriend of the boy’s mother, committed the aggravated assault.  The tragic news broke early last Friday morning that Peterson’s son was hospitalized and in critical condition.  Later that day, the running back’s son passed away as a result of severe head injuries.

Peterson immediately received a tremendous response from athletes and other celebrities around the country, including tweets from Reggie Bush, Robert Griffin III, Lebron James, Kevin Hart, Tim Tebow, Chris Brown, and many others that were incredibly sympathetic to the news.  Immediately after the news broke, the question arose: Would Peterson play that Sunday?

After tragic occurrences like this, many NFL players have decided to suit up and play.  Most recently, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith played the day of his brother’s tragic death – the result of a motorcycle accident.  Smith would then account for 127 yards and 2 touchdowns in a win against the New England Patriots.  Less recent was when Bret Favre, the old quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, played soon after his father’s death, racking up 400 passing yards and four passing touchdowns.

This is not the first  tragic news to strike Peterson.  When he was only seven years old, a drunk driver killed his older brother and best friend five feet away from him.  Then, when he was thirteen, his father was arrested and sent to prison.  In addition, he has overcome several potential career-ending injuries.

After deep consideration, Peterson eventually decided to play in Sunday’s game.  In a text to ESPN, Peterson explained his decision with these very inspirational words: “My brother passed the night before the combine, and I decided to go through with it.  For the same reason why, I will play this week.  You may ask why?  God wants good to come from it… We mourn and grieve, but Heaven had the baddest welcoming party for my son.  That knowledge gives me peace.  I’m still hurt and feel the pain of life, but I’m able to function because of the peace and joy knowing my loved one is in a much better place.”

Patterson was charged with aggravated battery of an infant and aggravated assault prior to the child’s death.  He was being held on a $750,000 bond.  Prosecutors expect to ask a grand jury to consider more serious charges on this tragic case.

Considering what Peterson has gone through, it is amazing to see him play at such a high level.  He definitely shines as an example for the rest of the league as not only one of the most talented players, but also one of the most dedicated to his job.