Nothing Was the Same: the New Drake Album

It’s official: Drake has finally broken his link to the old Jimmy Brooks in a wheelchair that we used to know from Degrassi: The Next Generation. Now, Drake is renowned as a rapper, and his career is skyrocketing. Having already sold over five million album worldwide,  it is no wonder that his latest album was an incredible success upon its release.

Excitement for Drake’s third studio album, Nothing Was the Same, was first sparked when his song “Started From the Bottom” leaked and became an immediate hit. The album was finally released on iTunes to anxiously waiting listeners on September 24th.  According to Complex Magazine, the album sold 658,000 copies the first week, more than either of his past two albums. The tracks on this record seem to create the perfect combination of all the styles Drake possesses: R&B, hip-hop, and a little flare of pop.

Known as a “sensitive” rapper, Drake reveals his own insecurities and uncertainties (yet asserts his dominance) on the tracks of Nothing Was the Same. He challenges the more “aggressive” lyrics of typical present-day rap, and adds a deep meaning that hits home to many of his fans. That being said, Drake’s words tell it how it is, and how his life was and continues to be. This simplicity and openness creates an emotional appeal for his listeners. In “Tuscan Leather,” the opening track to this album, Drake sets the mood for the rest of “Nothing Was the Same.” He raps about working his way up to the top in the hierarchy of fame, and then justifies himself in his place. Drake definitely acknowledges the fact that he works hard, is different, and most importantly, he is claiming his spot in the world of music.

Continuing to stand out among other rappers, Drake sings almost as much as he raps. In this album this aspect definitely takes on a huge role. In my favorite song on the album, “Hold On, We’re Going Home,” Drake sings the entire time, showing his R&B style. Other songs in this album contain a mixture of both rap and singing, such as “Wu-Tang Forever,” and “Furthest Thing,” allowing Drake to show off how multi-talented he is.

Drake performs his newest albums for fans at the iHeart Radio Music Festival.(Photo by Al Powers/Powers Imagery/Invision /AP, File)

“Nothing Was the Same” was a hit before it was even released, and its sale rates are continuing to escalate. This new record is yet another confirmation of Drake’s skill as an artist. He incorporates meaning and emotion into each line he raps and every chorus he sings. In this latest album, each track tells a story that seems to be relatable to many fans. Nothing Was the Same has allowed Drake to prove his consistent potential and uniqueness, and therefore, has clearly defined him as an artist.