Shake ‘n’ Bake Competition Takes the Cake

Fatima Minhas

Student Leo Shipulya’s cake that won honorable mention in the Best Tragedy category.

Pine Crest students baked up a storm for Shake n’ Bake, Shakespeare Out Loud’s signature baking competition on Wednesday, March 21st. The competition was organized by Ms. Jenkins, a teacher in the English department, and participants worked alone, in pairs, and in trios to create desserts that represented a variety of Shakespeare’s works. Students entered their creations into a variety of categories, including Best in Show, Best Tragedy, Best Comedy, Best Symbol, Best Tasting, Best Quote/Pun, Best Setting, Best Historical Recipe, and Best Shakespeare/Globe. After the cakes were judged, they were offered to all students to enjoy during Shakespeare Out Loud performances. Winners received gift cards and certificates. Junior Hannah Maister, who won the category of Best Setting, said, “I think people really go all out for the competition, which is fun to see. They put their best efforts into making their cakes look and taste really good.”  Below are some pictures of the winning cakes.

Best Pun: Nina Hamuy

Best Quote: Audrey Hollo

Best in Show: Sammy Koolik

Best Tragedy: Natalie Klar, Carley Blake, Alex Valad, & Maddie Fowler

Best Setting: Hannah Maister

Type One made an error in the original publication of this article.  Leo Shipulya was previously not given credit for the Julius Caesar cake pictured in this article’s featured image.  We regret this error.