Spotlight of the Week: Jordan Moldow & Alana Kosches

Jessi Gross

Jordan and Alana smile in front of the place they know best: the water.

This week, Type One reached out to Jordan Moldow and Alana Kosches, two senior leaders of the Pine Crest crew team for the past four years, to hear about the upcoming crew season. Both students are dedicated rowers who were happy to share their goals, contributions, and plans both for now and the future.

Type One: When did you join crew?

Jordan Moldow: I started rowing my freshman year.

Alana Kosches: I started coxing my freshman year.

T1: What is your favorite part of being on this team?

JM: There is a great dynamic between all of my teammates. This makes even the hardest practices enjoyable.

AK: Being on the crew team has allowed me to make many new friends. We are always able to work together to have fun and bring home medals.  

T1: What is your biggest goal for the season?

JM: My biggest goal for this year is to medal at states. Florida is one of the fastest states in the country, as two of the top five teams in the country are from Florida, so finishing in the top three would be incredible.

AK: My goal for the season is to medal at states again. Last year, we received the gold medal in the Girls’ Lightweight 8+ category. It was a very thrilling experience, and I hope to be able to finish off my last year on the team with a win.

T1: What advice would you give to your fellow teammates or any aspiring rowers?

JM: Don’t become discouraged if a race or practice doesn’t go as planned, but use these failures as learning experiences. Also, take advantage of the time you have on the crew team because it goes by faster than you would expect.

AK: I would tell my fellow teammates to keep going even through the hard parts.  Rowing is not an easy sport and you have to have both physical and mental toughness to get through the hard workouts and the never-ending races. To any aspiring rowers, I would say join the team to make lasting friendships and try a sport that is unlike any other at Pine Crest.

T1: Do you plan to row in college?

JM: I am attending Duke in the fall, where I may row for a club team.

AK: As of now, I am not rowing in college at Northwestern University. I may join the team when I get there!

T1: How would you describe your team in three words?

JM: Hard-working, competitive, and fun.

AK: Motivating, intense, and passionate.

T1: Who or what is your biggest inspiration?

JM: I don’t have one specific inspiration. My goal is to work hard training so that I can perform well in races with my teammates. This passion for success is motivation enough.

AK: My biggest inspiration is my coach, Coach Larson. She has helped the team through tough workouts and is always there for us when we need her.

T1: What is your greatest contribution to the team?

JM: Experience and leadership. Much of our team is made up of underclassmen, so it is important that I help some of the younger rowers through hard practices and races.

AK: As a coxswain, I am not just the person who steers the boats. I act as an assistant coach on the water, motivating the girls and correcting them on their technique.  

T1: What will you miss the most about crew next year?

JM: I’m really going to miss all of my teammates and coaches who I’ve had great seasons with over the years. Also, I will miss the incredibly competitive aspect of the sport.

AK: Next year, I will miss my friends the most. I wish all the underclassman the best as they continue on with their rowing experience.

Alana and Jordan have been enthusiastic members of the crew team for all four years of high school, and we are excited to see what this final season has in store for them. We are cheering for PC at the state competition later this season, and look forward to seeing what Jordan and Alana do in the future.