Spring’s Biggest Movies are Sequels and Remakes

[ot-caption title=”Guardian’s of the Galaxy returns this may for their anticipated Vol. 2. (via, BagoGames, Flickr)”]

Sequels and remakes are often unduly criticized for being unoriginal or unnecessary continuations of the films that were known and loved. However, judging by the recent surge of well-made and critically acclaimed adaptations out now such as Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and Logan, perhaps viewers should give these movies a chance. There are several much-anticipated action sequels coming out within the next few weeks, including Power Rangers, The Fate of the Furious, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.[spacer height=”20px”]

Power Rangers [spacer height=”20px”]

[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIe6UZHSXw” width=”700″ height=”500″ responsive=”no”]

Coming out March 24th is a reboot of a childhood favorite, the Power Rangers franchise. The film is directed by Dean Israelite, best known for previous works such as Project Almanac. The film is re-imagined with a brand new main cast of up-and-coming actors. It tells the story of five teens who are brought together by destiny to form the Power Rangers and save their town from an alien army led by Rita Repulsa, a powerful witch and the main antagonist of the original show’s first season. Fans are eager to see their favorite characters being portrayed by new faces. Hopefully, the new Power Rangers can rise to the challenge as well as their television counterparts did. [spacer height=”20px”]

Release Date: March 24, 2017                         Rated PG-13 [spacer height=”20px”]

The Fate of the Furious [spacer height=”20px”]

[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMKRevYa_M” width=”1000″ height=”800″ responsive=”no”]

Known for being one of the most extensive movie franchises, the Fast and the Furious is releasing its eighth installment this April. While the production of another sequel was not unexpected, it will be the first movie of the series not to star Paul Walker, who tragically passed away in a car accident in 2013. Some are concerned about this, but touching tributes shared by costars such as Vin Diesel have reassured fans that the movie will be produced while honoring his memory. The plot of this action movie is centered around characters Dom (Vin Diesel) and Letty (Michelle Rodriguez), who get pulled back into a dangerous lifestyle of street racing and crime after having escaped it. [spacer height=”20px”]

Release Date: April 14, 2017                                 Rated PG-13 [spacer height=”20px”]

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 [spacer height=”20px”]

[su_youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE&t=65s” width=”1000″ height=”800″ responsive=”no”]

This sequel of the 2014 space superhero film is eagerly awaited by fans, who fell in love with its original witty characters, stunning cinematography, and unforgettable soundtrack. Vol. 2 is expected to be just as much of a blockbuster, continuing the story of Peter Quill, also known as Star-lord (Chris Pratt). He will travel around the galaxy with the other guardians while struggling to keep the group together as he searches to discover his true parentage. Regardless of how the plot turns out, fans love that the team of guardians formed by creatures ranging from human to extraterrestrial raccoon are able to form a family who stick together even when the evils of the universe try to tear them apart. [spacer height=”20px”]

Release Date: May 5, 2017                          Rated PG-13 [spacer height=”20px”]

It does not seem like the trend of sequels and remakes will stop anytime soon. Disney alone currently has 22 live-action remakes of animated movies in the works. While many people resent sequels because they think it can ruin the magic of the original movie, if they are done right, they allow audiences to revist the worlds and characters they already love.

Image Source: Flickr.com