The Golden Globes Kick Off the Award Season in La La Land

[ot-caption title=”The Golden Globes Award logo. (via, Flickr kevinrsantiago)”]

Every year, the Golden Globe Awards set the precedent for what the award season will look like in awards, fashion, and even comedy. As the first televised award show of the year, the Globes gives audiences a look at which stars and movies will be nominated and helps to encourage people to watch lesser known movies that will likely be recognized at the Oscars.[spacer height=”20px”]

The 2017 Golden Globes were hosted by Jimmy Fallon on Sunday, January 8th.  Perhaps one of the most memorable moments was the night’s cold open, in which Fallon starred in a hilarious spoof of the night’s biggest winner, La La Land. Apart from the fun pre-recorded interviews with the stars, a recurring theme of the night was the political commentary. Fallon and many of the nominated actors and actresses mentioned the recent election results either with jokes or more serious remarks. The most blatant mention of the night came from Meryl Streep who was being honored with the Cecil B. DeMillle Achievement award. Although she did not directly mention the president elect’s name, Trump tweeted at Streep, calling her an “overrated” actress.[spacer height=”20px”]

In terms of accolades, La La Land owned the night, taking home the award for all eight of their nominations including a Best Actress/Actor award for the movie’s stars, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, and Best Picture Musical or Comedy. They made history as the most awards won by a single film at the Globes. A key factor to their success at the Globes was that movies are separated into two categories, Dramas and Musicals/Comedies, so it is extremely unlikely that they will sweep the awards at the Oscars.[spacer height=”20px”]

The most important indicator for the Oscars came from the Best Actress in a Drama award. It was a major shock when Isabelle Huppert won for her role in the foreign film, Elle, because most expected Natalie Portman to win for her role in Jackie. While it is unlikely that Isabelle Huppert will be nominated for the Oscar, Natalie Portman’s loss gives hope to those who want Emma Stone to win Best Actress at the Oscars.[spacer height=”20px”]

Other awards that may offer insight into the Oscars include Zootopia, which took the award for Best Animated Feature Film, Moonlight, the winner of the Best Drama Motion Picture, and Elle, which took home Best Foreign Language Film. [spacer height=”20px”]

A very popular discussion topic from every year’s awards is the clothing. Emma Stone stunned blush Valentino Haute Couture gown adorned with stars and topped with Tiffany & Co. diamonds. Amy Adams chose a shimmery gunmetal Tom Ford column with a straight-across neckline and sparkly Cartier earrings and bracelet. Natalie Portman channeled her inner Jackie Kennedy in a chartreuse 3/4-sleeve Prada gown with beaded embellishment, Tiffany & Co. jewelry and a swept-back half-updo. Brie Larson, a 2016 Oscar winner, turned heads in a fiery red sweetheart-neckline Rodarte gown with embellished bodice and matching lip, with Forevermark jewelry. Finally, both Gosling and Brad Pitt kept things simple but classy in jet-black and navy suits, Pitt’s adorned with a matching bow-tie.[spacer height=”20px”]

The Golden Globe’s helped give viewers a peek of what they might see at the Oscars, but as the differences in winners and even nominees for the two ceremonies in the past have shown, nothing is ever certain. The 2017 Oscars will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel on February 26th at 8:30 pm EST on ABC.[spacer height=”20px”]

Sources: People.com; GoldenGlobes.com; USMagazine.com; Oscars.com; CNN.com[spacer height=”20px”]