Playing for Change Concert

[ot-caption title=”Senior Aly Lakhani pours his heart into his first Playing for Change Performance.  (via Ginger Hollander, Senior)”]

This past Wednesday Pine Crest School put on the biannual production of Playing for Change which is a concert filled with student talent. The event generated many students, teachers, and parents to the audience. Veteran hosts Tyler Shevin and Phillip Swart started off the show with witty humor and many laughs as the amazing music performances followed.

pfc tyler and phil
Seniors Phil Swart and Tyler Shevin hosting Playing for Change one last time. (via Ginger Hollander, Senior)

Pine Crest’s Playing for Change is always filled with incredibly talented students and this show definitely did not disappoint. Fourteen acts went on stage, each displaying their own style and musical abilities. The first performance of the night started out strong with a rendition of the song, “Dani California,” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sophomore, Zach Shevin sang while Marissa Gailitis (sophomore) played piano accompanied by Jena Rosanski (sophomore) on the guitar and Mikey Salzman on the drums. A past favorite also returned to the Pine Crest stage. Junior Amanda Anderson beautifully sang Gnash’s “I Hate U I Love U” and played it on the piano.

Not only did the students surprise the audience with their many talents, the teachers did as well. The night included two gifted members of the Pine Crest faculty. First came Mr. Spitzig. The beloved math teacher was accompanied by returning members of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Jodie Kahn and Henri Vrod (juniors) singing Maroon Five’s “Lost Stars” with Jackie Procacci on the piano . The next performance was unexpected. During Elizabeth Pozzuoli’s performance of “Somebody to Love” by Queen, Mrs. Rashbaum shocked the audience by joining her on stage. They sounded great together!

elizabeth and ms. rauschbaum
Ms. Rashbaum and Senior Elizabeth Pozzuoli perform the penultimate act. (via Ginger Hollander, Senior)

This addition of Playing for Change was also unique from the previous shows in its own way. The event featured musical mash-ups of many popular songs conducted by our own Pine Crest students. Junior Brett Koolik began by playing a mixture of popular Justin Bieber songs on piano while singing multiple lyrics to songs such as “Sorry,” “Love Yourself,” and “What Do You Mean?” Brett Koolik was also featured on the piano in the next mash-up performance. Senior, Aly Lakhani rapped to multiple songs accompanied by senior, Emily Klimberg who sang. Hunter Wasserman, Jena Rozanski, and Matt Dardet were also featured in the performance.

The night came to an end with a breathtaking performance by Sarah Gale singing G-Easy and Bebe Rexha’s “Me, Myself & I” accompanied by fellow students playing the instrumentals. It was the perfect way to end the show. Sophmore, Sophia Molea commented, “I really enjoyed it and I realized how many people had talents that I didn’t even know about!”

Playing for Change is a great opportunity for students to put themselves out there and display their many talents while supporting two great causes. The concert’s organizers, Sarah Gale and Elizabeth Pozzuoli are sending the proceeds to Girl Up and Funding Arts Broward. This semester’s Playing for Change event was nothing short of amazing and students are already looking forward to next year’s concert.