Insight into Making a Murderer

[ot-caption title=”The new Netflix series has sparked interest around the world. In this March 13, 2007 photo, Steven Avery listens to testimony in the courtroom at the Calumet County Courthouse in Chilton, Wis. (AP Photo/Morry Gash)”]

This past month, Netflix released a new documentary series, a decade in the making. Making a Murderer is a true crime series that takes viewers behind the scenes of victim, Steven Avery’s, life, trial, and jail time. Exonerated after spending eighteen years behind bars for a crime he did not commit, Steven Avery was arrested again for the murder and sexual assault of Teresa Halbach after only two years of freedom. Although Avery and his nephew Brendan Dassey were both convicted of the crime, Netflix fans have generated an extreme amount publicity, calling for petitions to review Avery’s case. Even after watching a few episodes myself I don’t know what to believe—innocent or guilty? Clearly, many viewers share my shock and uncertainty, sparking excitement and interest surrounding the show. The docu-series has become a phenomenon both at Pine Crest and nationwide.

Avery’s guilt or innocence still remains a mystery, however, after talking to a number of people, both Ms. Alexanderson and Ms. Everett had the most thought-provoking and insightful perspectives. As psychology teachers, they both focused on Avery’s psyche. Ms. Alexanderson stated, “From a psych standpoint, I was looking for two main concepts: is he a psychopath? or a sociopath?” A psychopath qualifies as a meticulous person who can be very charismatic and highly intelligent but also lacks remorse and empathy. On the other hand, a sociopath is overcome with uncontrollable and intense thoughts about a specific feeling. When that specific emotion is threatened, a sociopath lashes out. There is usually a significant relationship in his life that is so extreme, that it becomes detrimental to his being. Obviously, I am not aware of a triggering factor for Steven Avery, but Ms. Alexanderson specified a certain aspect that suggests sociopathy: Avery has an obsessive need to be in a relationship. Throughout the entire series Avery is never alone; he’s always involved with a new person. Despite being locked up for practically all his life, Avery has had three serious relationships since his original arrest in 1985.

Despite this revelation, Mrs. Everett admits that it does not even matter if Steven Avery is guilty of the crime he was convicted for, “When I was watching the series, the level of police brutality was more important to me than wether or not he actually committed the crimes he was accused of.” The amount of misconduct by the local police followed by countless miscarries of justice surpass the question of his innocence. The real question we need to ask ourselves is how have these safety nets failed? Separate entities of government not functioning how they really are supposed to is by far the most concerning aspect of the case. It begs the question, has this happened to other people in Avery’s situation?

The court case in Teresa Halbach’s murder that “Making a Murderer” highlights originally took place in 2007. Since he was found guilty, Avery has appealed the conviction countless times in order to prove his innocence. In exploring Avery’s original arrest, prosecution, and latest conviction, it is very possible that docu-series is bias, leaving out key evidence that would paint Avery as a murderer. Despite this revelation, we will never really know if Avery is who he claims to be, or if he is another person entirely. After talking to Mrs. Everett and Mrs. Alexanderson I know where I stand on the matter, do you?

Sources: Wikimedia