Death of Corey Jones

[ot-caption title=”Corey Jones playing the drums in his band, Future Prezidents (via, Justice For Corey Jones Facebook page).”]

Minutes before his death at the hand of a plain-clothed police officer in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, Corey Jones was dialing AT&T’s roadside assistance at 3:10 a.m. on October 18th.  Corey Jones was a public housing inspector and a part-time musician. He had just finished a gig, and his car had broken down. To help with his car trouble, Jones initially contacted a bandmate who was unable to get the vehicle started, according to friends and family. Jones was sitting in his car on the off-ramp at PGA Boulevard when Norman Raja, a police officer, pulled up nearby in an unmarked car. Jones then tried to call his brother, Clinton Jones Junior, but to no avail. “Don’t worry about it,” Jones told his older brother. He had called for a tow and waited with his car.

Raja, a police officer, had been investigating burglaries in the area when he had spotted what he thought to be an abandoned car on the side of the road. Raja was not in uniform, and was in an unmarked police car. Raja was then “suddenly confronted by an armed subject,” the statement says. Jones had a legally purchased gun and a concealed weapons permit.  Police stated that Raja spotted Jones’ gun and fired, killing him.  Lawyers said Raja fired six times, while Jones never fired his weapon. Jones’ body was found 80 to 100 feet away from his vehicle and his gun was found at an unspecified distance between his body and his vehicle.

In reference to his concealed carry permit, Jones’ brother told the reporters that “Corey is not that kind of person” to pull out his gun. The Jones family grew up at the Bible Church of God in Boynton Beach. Their father, Clinton Jones Senior, was a pastor there, along with their grandfather Sylvester Banks Senior.  Corey frequently played drums at the church, and even had his own band, named the Future Prezidents.  Nouman Raja, the officer that killed Jones, was still on probation at the time of the incident and was not qualified to be conducting surveillance. He was also disciplined twice before for mishandling evidence and for not following procedure during a car chase.

This is the most recent case in Florida for police brutality, and although it is still under investigation, the Jones family recently appeared on CNN demanding answers and justice for the death of their family member, Corey Jones.

Sources: CNN, Heavy, Yahoo News, WPBF, NewsOne, Palm Beach Post, Sun Sentinel