Netflix Originals You Can’t Miss

[ot-caption title=”Ready to marathon four seasons in three days. (via, Sabine Katsoulos, junior)”]

As the years go by and technology advances, one of the few services that still remains increasingly popular is Netflix, currently boasting a subscriber count of over 65 million. The average number of hours per month that users spend watching Netflix was about 10 billion hours as of April 2015. Over the past few years, Netflix has released its own original TV shows that have captivated its viewers, and as 2015 progresses, new original shows only add to the popularity that Netflix has accumulated.

Several Netflix originals have gained a wide fan base since their pilot episodes. Orange is the New Black, for example, has skyrocketed in popularity since its premiere in 2013. This is in large part due to its incredible cast, among which are Satellite Award winner for Best Actress in a television comedy series Taylor Schilling, Glamour Award winner for Woman of the Year Laverne Cox, and Primetime Emmy Award winner for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a comedy series Uzo Aduba. In 2014, the show won the TCA award for Outstanding New Program, and its popularity clearly has not dwindled, with its fourth season to be released June 2016.

Another great show that Netflix offers is House of Cards, a drama series whose third season attracted 2.0% of Netflix’s subscribers. In 2013, the year it came out, the show already boasted a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series. In 2014, its leading actress Robin Wright won a Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, and in 2015, its leading actor Kevin Spacey won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series. The number of awards the show has won and the incredible cast make House of Cards a definite must see.

A few new shows on the scene have also enjoyed great success in their first few episodes. Daredevil, the first of multiple superhero dramas that are coming to Netflix as part of a deal with Marvel, premiered April of this year with an impressive 10.7% of subscribers watching at least one episode within eleven days of its release. The new comedy series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, one of whose executive producers is Tina Fey, attracted 7.3% of Netflix subscribers within its first month.

These Netflix originals are absolute must-sees, whether they’re on their fourth season or their first, examples being Arrested Development, Bloodline, Marco Polo, and BoJack Horseman. With the wide variety and range of TV shows to watch, it is truly difficult to not binge-watch seven seasons in four days.

Sources: DMR, TV Guide, Variety