Fall TV Lineup: Shonda Rhimes Dominates

[ot-caption title=”TCA SUMMER PRESS TOUR 2015 – “TGIT” Session – The cast and producers of ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away with Murder” at Disney | ABC Television Group’s Summer Press Tour 2015 at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California. (ABC/Image Group LA)”]

[ot-caption title=”TCA SUMMER PRESS TOUR 2015 – ‘TGIT’ Session – The cast and producers of ABC’s ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ ‘Scandal’ and ‘How to Get Away with Murder’ at Disney | ABC Television Group’s Summer Press Tour 2015 at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California. (ABC/Image Group LA)”]

With 115 TV shows in the line-up, this year’s fall TV season definitely has a lot of potential. Of course no one has enough time to watch all of these shows, so here a few of the shows to look out for this fall.

Newbies

Quantico

When FBI agent Alex Parish is accused of being a terrorist, she has to work back through the events of the past months to figure out which one her new friends from FBI boot camp at Quantico is the real terrorist. With Shonda Rhimes dominating television dramas it is not surprising that multiple shows this year resemble ones she produces. It follows the formula of Grey’s Anatomy by having a female main character just starting out in her field of work but adds a Scandal touch because of the political background of the show. It also has a How to Get Away with Murder feel because the main conflict is introduced in the first episode and the viewer’s watch flashbacks to piece together what actually happened. Even though Quantico is not actually a Shondaland show, it is definitely a must see. Watch Quantico on Sundays at 10 pm on ABC

Scream Queens

From the  minds of the show-stopping Glee and the cult hit American Horror Story, Scream Queens, comes one of this season’s most highly anticipated shows.  The cast is full of celebrities including Emma Roberts, Lea Michelle, Ariana Grande, Nick Jonas, and many more. Scream Queens, similar to American Horror Story, is an anthology show meaning each season has a different plot. This season follows a horribly mean sorority that is forced to opens its doors to anyone who wants to join. The sorority girls are being killed off each episode by a unknown character in the school mascot’s red devil costume. Scream Queens is made to be a comedy-horror show that the directors, Falchuk and Murphy, made to accommodate people who are too scared to watch American Horror Stories. While some of the jokes and horror in the first episode came across corny, Scream Queens definitely has a lot pf potential with its star studded cast and amazing production. Watch Scream Queens on Tuesdays at 9 on FOX

Sophomore Seasons

Empire

Cookie Lyon is back, and she wants her music empire! Empire truly dominated the spring season of TV last year. It is hard to believe that the show is only nine months old and already this popular. While the first season’s amazing songs and interesting characters made season one very popular, the season two premiere definitely did not disappoint. When Lucius Lyon handed over his music empire to his son Jamal at the end of the first season, his ex-wife, Cookie, and their other sons, Hakeem and Andre, were not happy. The show has set up a new conflict and, unfortunately, made a villain out of the season one favorite, Jamal. Cookie will not go down to fight so you will have to watch season two to see who comes out on top! Watch Empire on Wednesdays at 9 pm on FOX

How to Get Away with Murder

ABC announced it’s new TGIT line up that includes three shows produced by Shonda Rimes. The newest addition   was one of last year’s fall season’s biggest hits. The nail biting law drama took audiences on a wild ride through Annaliese Keating’s hectic life with her cheating husband and crazy defendants. Finally, at the end of the first season it seemed as though the mysterious killer had been exposed, but before the audience could even catch their breath a new conflict arose. While many people thought that the death in the season one finale was going to be the plot for season 2, the premiere on Thursday revealed the killer in the first thirty minutes. Other than the reveal of the killer, the premiere was much slower than most episodes until the unexpected ending that set up the rest of the season. This unique style allows for the viewers to piece together the glimpse of the finale they saw in the premiere, making How to Get Away with Murder one very addicting show. Watch How to Get Away with Murder on Thursdays at 10 on ABC.

Oldie but Goodie

Scandal

While it might be surprising that Scandal is now consider an “oldie,” it is entering its 5th season which, is a pretty long run. It has become the true anchor of Shonda Rhimes’s TGIT lineup of award winning shows. With Mellie out of the White House because of her senate run, Olivia and Fitz can finally be together but what happens when America finds out? The fifth seasons premiere on Thursday showed Fitz and Olivia’s late night meet ups while Olivia tried to fix a problem that mirrored Princess Diana’s car accident. The premiere was nothing show stopping, but in the final moments, a news reporter revealed Olivia and Fitz’s affair to the public to draw viewers in. Scandal is back and more dramatic than ever. Watch Scandal on Thursday’s at 9 pm on ABC.

Sources

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/09/this-weeks-cover-ew-fall-tv-preview

http://abc.go.com/quantico

http://www.fox.com/scream-queens

http://www.fox.com/empire

http://abc.go.com/shows/how-to-get-away-with-murder

http://abc.go.com/shows/scandal