Pine Crest Panthers Golf Teams

[ot-caption title=”Seniors Matthew Jacobs and Justin Friedman are leading the way this year for the Boys’ Golf Team. (via Miles Castoro, junior)”]

The Pine Crest Panthers varsity golf teams are off to a great start this season. With coaches Pam Elders, Lela Cannon, and Karl Nitowski leading the teams, a very solid culture has been created featuring grueling practices each and every day. Hitting the driving range, chipping greens in the heat, and driving far away to tournaments are part of what it takes to be on the team at Pine Crest.

The girls’ team has performed well thus far. The team only has a few matches left, but has big goals set. With the proper mentality, the girls are aiming their sights at a run to States to finish off the year.

Senior captain, Sam Haubenstock, says, “We’ve had a good season so far. I’m looking forward to the last few matches we have. I’m so proud of everyone and all the hard work the team has put in. I’m hoping we can make it to districts and regionals and make it to states as a team for the first time in the last seven years.” Sam and Ruby He, a junior on the team, enjoy every moment on the team.  And, it’s not just the upperclassmen that feel this way.  Sophomore Paige Skimming even went as far as to say, “My team is like my family.”  It’s this type of friendship and motivation that inspire the girls to compete at their best throughout the season.

On the gentlemen’s side, senior captains Justin Friedman and Matt Jacobs have been leading the charge. Their goal for the season is to win States, and the guys have buckled down and began making a push at the state tournament.

Along with the two senior captains, other players have made valuable contributions.  Justin Danzansky, a junior who’s played golf for around five years, made his debut this year for the green and white. Moreover, junior Miles Castoro has been a centerpiece of the program for some time now.  He’s played on the varsity team for the last six seasons, improving his score each and every start.  The myriad of contributors this year should help to form a really tough squad to beat as the year progresses.

As far as the team’s philosophy goes, the guys, similar to their female counterparts, have put an emphasis on team bonding to strengthen their performances on the course and attitudes in daily life.  For the first time in school history, the golf team does yoga before each match to relax and grow closer as a team.  Everybody is committed to making this season a special one, but the team members also realize the expectations.  When asked of goals for the end of the year, Danzansky knows the guys want, “to place first in both the regional and district tournament, and to make it to the State Championship Tournament and place in the top 3.”

Both teams are aiming high and working extremely hard to better their games and themselves as human beings.  Good luck to the PC boys’ and girls’ golf teams as they continue their seasons. Go Panthers!