Brrr…It’s Below 70 Degrees!

[ot-caption title=”A very cold Pine Crest student tries to stay warm. (via Alana Kosches, Freshman)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/fcww.jpg”]

Hurry! Whip out the ski jackets and boots because Florida is “cold”…below seventy degrees! Around two weeks ago we had beautiful weather here in South Florida. Instead of the sweltering ninety-degree heat we have endured for the whole summer, the temperature dipped, causing Floridians to freak out. Unaccustomed to these frigid temperatures, Floridians retired their swimsuits and shorts for more appropriate clothing: scarves, boots, pants and jackets. Even if you did not go outside, you would not be out of the loop, due to the dramatic uproar on social media such as continuous Snapchat story temperature-filtered posts and tweets about how beautiful the weather is. This change in temperature has caused some talk in the Pine Crest community and can be seen by the increase in Spirit Store revenues lately.

Sophomore Mikey Mattone shares his opinion about the cold front, stating, “Personally whenever it gets to the mid to low sixties, it is nice and I put on a light jacket. But there are certain people who break out the full parka and Uggs and mittens just to go outside, like calm yourself.”

Tara Shecter, a freshman adamantly against the cold weather, says, “I thought this week was freezing. I wore sweatpants and a sweatshirt all weekend and drank a lot of hot chocolate to stay warm. I’m not a fan of the cold, but I do like how there is no humidity.”

Although New Englanders would call us Floridians wimps for saying that sixty-degree weather is “freezing”, these reactions can be justified. The Sun-Sentinel reported that record-breaking temperatures were reached in Miami and West Palm Beach, which clearly would throw off beach lovers and sunbathers alike.

Sophomore Noey Boldizsar agrees with that, stating, “Whenever it gets below a certain temperature, my lips get chapped and my hair gets frizzy, so I like warm weather. Florida’s supposed to be hot, not this cold!”

South Floridians are used to extremely hot temperatures, so even the slightest cold wave will throw them off. Most people thought that the colder weather has been gorgeous as they enjoyed spending their time outdoors. Many people criticized those who got a little too excited with their cold weather wear. Another cold wave is coming this weekend, and hopefully this weather is here to stay for as long as possible, because Florida gets enough heat year round.