Chokers: Hot or Not?

[ot-caption title=”Caroline Adkins wears a choker with a four leaf clover on it. (via Alana Kosches, Freshman)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/choker-fixed.jpg”]

Walking through the halls of Pine Crest, you might feel like you’re back in the early 2000s, as many girls are once again donning chokers. These tight, usually black necklaces do not dangle and are given their name for the appearance of “choking” the person wearing it. You’ve probably seen these chokers before, when we were young children under the age of 10, sporting tie-dye, rhinestone chokers with a variety of pendants attached to them. Now, the trend is coming back from the dead, as most trends do, but small, silver pendants dangling from black lanyards are replacing the colorful gems. Tattoo chokers used to have an edgy and almost mysterious look to them, but now they are commonplace. Girls all over Pine Crest are reviving the trend, making a fashion statement. So, are these chokers hot or not?

Sophomore Rachel Hackman believes that the trend is not hot, stating, “I am not a fan of chokers because I think that chokers are flattering on some people, but they can also look tacky since most of them are made out of plastic. They can also extenuate a not very attractive part of the body.”   Freshman Maddie Driscoll agrees with the opinion that chokers are not hot, saying, “Chokers are not hot because it’s just another trend. I don’t think it makes girls look edgy, plus this isn’t the 90s.”

On the other hand, junior Hailey Weinberg supports the trend, as she wears one black tattoo choker and one that has a shell attached. She says, “I think that they [the tattoo chokers] were cool because they were new and rare, but now that everyone is wearing them I think I’m going to have to take mine off. But I think that the string chokers with either a jewel or symbol, or in my case shells, are really cool. I like them because they’re not the same and everyone is wearing a different style.”

So, as more people continue to wear the tattoo chokers, the original wearers of these chokers are becoming a little skeptical, because it’s hard to tell who wore the chokers before the trend started and who is just following. But chokers are a chance for girls to be original by sporting different charms, colored beads and string. So it’s up to you to form your own opinion, are chokers just a knock off of the 2000s, or a new and creative accessory?

[ot-caption title=”Alyssa Dern wearing a pearl choker (via Lisa Zheutlin, Sophomore)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/alyysa-e1410893999520.jpg”]