iPhone and Apple Watch: The Next Great Products?

[ot-caption title=”Apple CEO Tim Cook introduces the new Apple Watch on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014, in Cupertino, Calif. (via AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/apple-fixed.jpg”]

What many are claiming to be the grandest scale announcement for an iPhone since the launch of the iPhone has many people chatting about the new features as well as the debut of Apple’s entrance into the wearable market.

In a nutshell and without excessive technological jargon, here are the reasons why everyone has been discussing the iPhone and Apple Watch.

Most notably, the design and overall dimensional change of the iPhone marks a difference in screen size that has only occurred twice before for the iPhone: the original at 3.5” and the iPhone 5 at 4”. Now, with the looming nature of Android phones clocking in at an average 5” to the massive 5.7” displays, Apple elected to dive straight into what has been become a relatively established phablet market with the iPhone 6 Plus. Intriguingly, Apple launched two iPhone in their September 9th event, the iPhone 6, which has a 4.7” display at 1334 X 750, and the iPhone 6 Plus, the 5.5” full HD enhanced version of the aforementioned 6. Both maintain the same novel design that incorporates an entire metal back coupled with a display that wraps along the side in a curved fashion.

Powering these phones is the recently unveiled A8 processor, which has a 64-bit architecture that offers 50 times the power of the original iPhone. New sensors like the barometer to measure stairs climbed and NFC (near field communication) for mobile payments add to the slew of improvements in these phones. An enhanced 240 frame per second slow motion video capture as well as a time lapse feature will be exclusive to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Some of the most compelling reasons to quickly navigate to Apple’s web page and purchase an iPhone 6 can be found in the hardware; however, a wise consumer always values software. iOS 8 maintains the visual overhaul brought in iOS 7, but this eighth iteration of the software brings more powerful mobile payments through the use of Apple’s fingerprint identification button called TouchID and NFC, which can intelligently converse with other devices through a wireless connection. Widgets and third party keyboards are other notable advancements seen in the newest software release, but there do exist certain iPhone 6 specific software additions such as the software translating downward with a double tap of the home button to accommodate the difficulty of reaching the top of the screen with such a massive display.

The Apple Watch, which boasts features such as two million electronic watch faces, a completely state-of-the-art Apple-designed S1 chip, and a thin sapphire coating, has been met with mixed responses from a multitude of internet-based reviewers. While some criticize the device’s lack of Jobsian technological innovations, others praise its wide-scale style variability (there are many customizable options including 18-karat gold finishes, several watch bands, and Apple’s characteristically expansive color palette).

Buttons found on the watch comprising a rotary circle referred to as the digital crown and another linear button enable the watches communication functions and app-selection screens. Friends connected through a similar interest in wearing the Apple Watch can send jovial sketches to one another using the communicatory touchscreen.

In terms of battery life, Tim Cook, the current CEO of Apple, claims that the device was intended to be worn during the day and charged at night. A final important feature implemented into the watch’s design is the Apple Pay functionality wherein users can manage their mobile payments and perhaps even purchase items in retail stores using their technological devices in the future. Overall, only time will provide valuable insights into the ultimate success of the Apple Watch.

The question of whether one should invest into a new product can always be a challenging one to contemplate; however, if you meet the criteria of being imbedded into the Apple music and application ecosystem, have an available upgrade on your respective carrier, and have a desire to obtain a larger display while still remaining familiar, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus will serve their purpose and will do it will great elegance and fluidity. A point to consider would be that greater disparity between the two major ecosystems (Apple and Android) has been arising, and the consumer must choose their side because devices of opposite parties will become less and less compatible.