Fall Sports: Starting the Year Strong

The girls’ varsity volleyball team is looking strong this year. (via Isabelle Lumb, Senior)

[ot-caption title=”The girls’ varsity volleyball team is looking strong this year. (via Isabelle Lumb, Senior)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_0461-e1410350015937.jpg”]

[blockquote style=”1″]”The future is bright, we just have to make it happen.” [/blockquote]

Says Athletic Director Jeff Johnson about this upcoming athletics season. Kickstarting the year with football, cross country, golf, girls’ volleyball, swimming and diving, cheerleading, and freshmen crew, this fall season of athletics promises to be an exciting one.

The football season began earlier this year, and has been training consistently throughout the summer. Soon its players will benefit from remodeled facilities, including a new and improved turf field. With 25 alumni still playing in college, these athletes have a lot to live up to and are sure to do it in style. While the field still has a ways to go in terms of playability, it is expected to be ready just in time for Homecoming, one of the biggest games of the season.

Varsity swimming and diving has been a dependably strong and consistent team year after year. As one of the state’s most recognized teams, Pine Crest’s swimming and diving team has high expectations at the state level, with an extremely strong girls’ team and a depleted, but no less talented, boys’ team. With the loss of state champion and current Harvard swimmer, Kent Haeffner, as well as current Georgetown swimmer, Alex Evenson, the boys team will rely on its returning swimmers to step up, and for newcomers to come in and make an impact as well.

With a packed schedule of matches at least twice a week, this season’s especially strong golf team will be one of the things that makes this season better than the last. Athletic Director Johnson is particularly excited for golf, believing “they can really go above and beyond this fall season.”

There would be no football, no pep rallies, and no Homecoming without cheerleaders. Simply put, they are important, and this dedicated and spirited group of girls will look to boost the football team to victory this fall. Along with that task, the cheerleaders will look to boost the school as well, charging it with positive energy and school spirit in both games and pep rallies.

[ot-video type=”vimeo” url=”https://vimeo.com/105551209″]

Never letting the ball touch the ground, the girls volleyball team has already given other teams a glimpse of their talent. The players feel as if they have already bonded and have very close relationships with each other, which is priceless on and off the court, as volleyball is a sport that relies heavily on team camaraderie and communication. The team bonding seems to have paid off, as the girls volleyball team is currently undefeated going into Tuesday’s home game against North Broward Prep.

With 20 Pine Crest graduates still rowing collegiately, and a state-of-the-art boathouse, the crew team has a great reputation. While it is classified as a fall sport, they have a bit of a late start in mid-September to early October, so there is plenty of time to prepare for the beginning of the season.

Finally, there is cross-country, which started in early August. Head Coach Paul Baur is extremely proud of his team and he thinks, “what makes this team tic is their complete dedication.” Having trained almost all on their own volition all through the summer, this cross-country team has impressed their coach, who said that “this is a great improvement from last year’s team.” The dedication was evident as the team won first place in both the girls and boys JV and Varsity races last Friday at the Martin County Under the Lights Invitational.

This fall’s football, golf, cheerleading, cross-country, and girls’ volleyball seasons are already underway and are soon to be followed by swimming and diving, and crew for freshmen. The difference between this season and last season will be marked by newly renovated athletic facilities, good sportsmanship, and better than ever school spirit. All the teams have been preparing consistently, and are now ready to show everyone else just how strong Pine Crest can be.