Second Semester Begins

A student completing homework as second semester begins. (Photo credit Alana Steinberg)

As we put away our (not needed) snow boots and shoveled the (metaphorical) icy slush from our front yards, we kissed our beloved Winter Break goodbye.  It’s indisputable that Winter Break came and went quickly, and although the loss of our temporary vacation definitely stung, it is that time of year to embark upon our next journey of the 2013-2014 school year: second semester.

The first day of the first semester is always one that can certainly raise some stress levels- brand new teachers, brand new classes, brand new…. everything.  As the semester wears on, we acclimate to our new environments, settle into our classes, and soon enough, we are preparing to take our mid-year exams.   Now that we are beginning another semester, that tension-filled stress about the unknown is over.  We can begin this second chapter of our school year with ease.

Opinions of second semester vary from person to person.  Some insist that this new semester is a time to start fresh with grades and put what was learned from first semester into effect. Of course, the majority of unwavering support for the second semester comes from the seniors.

However, unlike these second semester supporters, there are some who fear second semester because of AP exams, SAT Subject Tests, and other such exams.  Another reason why this new semester may seem daunting is because any grades received in first semester are no longer relevant to this new semester’s grade, although this may also be a benefit to some.  Naturally, there is also more to second semester than just GPA’s and AP’s.  There is also prom, a beloved event, as well as graduation.

According to junior Katarina Stevanovich, “I think second semester will be a fresh start. I am excited to get my college counselor, but it is also really nerve wracking at the same time.”  This new semester truly is a milestone in the life of a junior, when the daunting college process begins to become a reality.  Alexandra Wiley, a junior, agrees with Katarina’s viewpoint.  “I am excited to see what second semester will bring,” she says, “because this is the key time for me to excel in my classes for college acceptances. “  Seniors, on the other hand, are nearing the end of this college application process.  Says senior Andrew Lott, “It’s great to finally be a second semester senior; now I’m just waiting to hear back from schools.”

One thing we can all agree on is that fact that first semester is over, and a new semester awaits us.  Let’s make it a great one.