Have No Fear, Sparknotes Is Here

Sparknotes books for popular school reads. Photo by Alexis Kesselman

The use of Sparknotes has been a long-running controversy between students and teachers.  With its concise but detailed summaries, in-depth analyses, and various practice questions, Sparknotes is an incredibly powerful resource.  So why is it that many teachers are opposed to this learning aid?  Ms. Zingariello, ninth grade English teacher, offered a few justifications, stating that “There is the fear if a student reads Sparknotes, he or she will not read the text.”  As she further explained, “Teachers want students to read critically and analyze themes, motifs, symbols, etc. on their own or in class discussions.  If students use Sparknotes, that process will not happen and further learning and analysis will be lost.”  These concerns are legitimate – many students choose to read Sparknotes and skip the actual book entirely.  They abuse the material at hand, which is intended to be a supplement, not a replacement.  As Ms. Zingariello discussed, the substitution of reading the actual book with reading Sparknotes is likely to be detrimental to a student’s understanding of the work.  The student may become reliant on this outside source, which can prevent him or her from learning to interpret and understand literary work on their own.

Despite varied amounts of usage, most students find Sparknotes to be beneficial.  According to junior Gen Selden, “Sparknotes is helpful for reviewing the book before a test or if you do not completely understand it, but it is not a good substitute for actually reading the book.”  I would definitely agree with this statement.  As long as a student has read the book first, Sparknotes can act as a complement to the overall understanding he or she possesses.  The website’s summaries clarify confusing or complicated topics.  They also provide a review of the material that highlights details that students could have easily forgotten.

Despite these favorable qualities, however, there is a significant issue at hand.  With the increase in popularity of Sparknotes, reading has become less about individual interpretation and more about a momentary, superficial understanding.  The beauty of reading is in the unique meaning it offers to each reader.  Unfortunately, this quality is compromised because students are often unwilling to take the time to unravel and find value in a story.  Comprehension on a deeper level is lost in the current culture of instant gratification.  The pursuit of immediate understanding has overtaken the search for profound appreciation.  The pursuit of immediate understanding has overtaken the search for profound appreciation.  It is essential that the true spirit of literature return, for it cannot be forgotten, nor can it be harnessed in a thousand-word Sparknotes summary.