Halloween Takes Over PC…Part of It

mr. kruger-robbins spanish class
Seniors show off their creative costumes (Photo by Frank Kruger-Robbins)

This past week on October 31, children of all ages played tricks, devoured sweets, and decked themselves out in outrageous costumes…that is, except for three quarters of Pine Crest high school students. It has always been tradition that only the seniors can wear costumes to school on Halloween, while the rest of the high school shows their Halloween spirit in their “dazzling” uniforms. Obviously, to the seniors, this privilege enhances their power as leaders of the school, but is it fair to the ninth, tenth, and eleventh graders?

When asked whether or not he agrees with the fact that the underclassmen don’t get to dress-up, freshman Chase Shea said, “I think it’s fair that we can’t dress up because it is a senior privilege, and when I’m a senior I’m going to be happy that they have that rule.” Most people, however, disagreed with this opinion. Another lower classman, Stefanie Taylor, protested, “We are being discriminated against and it bothers me because the lower school, middle school, and twelfth graders get to dress up in some form while the rest of us cannot in any way.”

Personally, I agree with her. When I passed the lower and middle school students showing off that Halloween zest that only occurs once a year, I became envious. On the other hand, though, I know that waiting to dress up until my senior year  will make it even more exciting when I can.

There is one thing that everyone can agree on, though: the seniors looked like they had an awesome time showing off their creative costumes this year. From the Spice Girls to various animal species, the seniors went all out . Halloween star Aj Felberbaum was just one example of how innovative the seniors were with their costume choices, as he said with pride, “I decided to be the most handsome and amazing man as my costume…so I dressed up as Señor Kruger-Robbins.” Perhaps in a couple more years, I’ll be able to wear something just as interesting and clever, but for now, I’ll just wait and enjoy watching the seniors dress up once a year.