The Homecoming Dance: Friends or Dates?

A Pine Crest student making a big impression as he is asking his date to the 2013 Prom.
A Pine Crest student making a big impression as he asks his date to the 2013 Prom. (Photo by Alana Steinberg)

With the homecoming dance just around the corner, some may be curious as to why Pine Crest students go “solo” to the dance.  Many other schools participate in the tradition of students asking each other to the dance, so why not us?   The homecoming dance has become a chance for Pine Crest students to go together in large groups, and not worry about finding a date.  But many students wish they had the chance to be asked in a sweet and creative manner.

Lindsay Siegel, a sophomore, said, “I think that not asking people to homecoming makes it a lot more casual than something like prom.  It gives people that normally wouldn’t have a date a chance to go with their friends and not feel left out.”  The all-inclusiveness of homecoming versus the date approach of Prom is appealing to many, especially amongst freshmen who are still adjusting to high school.  Going to the dance in a group is a non-stressful opportunity to have fun with friends.

While that perspective is very popular, some students feel that it would be more traditional and enjoyable to go with a date.  Hailey Weinberg, a sophomore, is among the students who prefer the idea of being asked.  “I think it’d be fun to ask people to homecoming.  I mean homecoming to us is just dressing up, but when someone asks you, it’s so much cooler…it adds excitement to homecoming.  You never know how you’re gonna be asked and sometimes you’re really not sure who is going to ask you.”

The tradition of going to homecoming with a date could be problematic since the dance is so early in the year; new students as well as ninth graders would have to quickly decide with whom they would want to attend the dance.   That could possibly be the reason why we have this tradition at Pine Crest to go in groups.  On the other hand, seeing all those pictures of students from other schools with their dates could create the desire for a cute proposal to the homecoming dance.  So what do you think? Should the Homecoming dance be more like a “fall prom,” or should the dance be a fun, relaxed occasion to celebrate the week of festivities?