Two Movies to See This November

Jaap Buitendijk

[ot-caption title=”The main characters of this fall’s new Harry Potter spin off, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. (via Warner Bros.)”]

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]This fall, several exciting new movies are coming to theaters, including Dinsey’s next animated princess movie, Moana, and another one of Marvel’s standalone superhero movies, Doctor Strange. Both of these movies follow the typical formula that is expected, but below are two movies that are doing something a little different. One is relaunching one of the biggest franchises of all time and the other is something that is seen less often these days: a standalone film that is not intended to be a franchise. 

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is J.K. Rowling’s first post-Harry Potter movie and also her screenplay writing debut. Loosely based on the spin-off book that emulated a textbook from Harry Potter, the film will be the first of a series of five films starring Eddie Redmayne as an introverted wizard, Newt Scamander, and Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski, an aspiring No-Maj baker. No- Maj is the new American word for muggle. The movie takes place in the year 1926 in New York after the main character, Scamander, finished an expedition around the world to find and document an array of magical creatures. All is well until Newt comes into contact with the No-Maj Jacob Kowalski who is introduced to the magical realm of wizards by Newt. From then on, all chaos breaks lose as Newt and Jacob team up to find a misplaced magical case and save both the wizarding and No-Maj world from a couple of Newt’s escaped beasts. “I am very excited to see this movie because I am a massive Harry Potter fan,” freshman Gabrielle Khoriaty said. “Quite frankly, I believe that other Potter fans would agree that we’ve been deprived of this magical world too much.” This long awaited movie hits theaters on November 18th.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]The Edge of Seventeen

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is not the only movie coming out on the 18th. A coming of age film, The Edge of Seventeen, comes out this November and stars Hailee Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson. Fans of coming of age movies such as The Breakfast Club and The Perks of Being a Wallflower may find some similarities in The Edge of Seventeen.  The film centers on perfectly ordinary and awkward high school junior Nadine Byrd who faces a major crisis when her best, and only, friend starts dating her all-star brother. Watch as Nadine struggles to survive the already complicated life of a teenage high school girl plus a potential love interest and her insulting, blunt history teacher as her therapist. “I’m excited to watch The Edge of Seventeen because I love watching coming of age movies especially since I’m in high school,” junior Gabby Mahabeer said. “In addition, Woody Harrelson, who played Haymitch in the Hunger Games and is one of my favorite actors to watch, will be starring in this movie.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB6Gecy6IP8

Sources: Hollywood Reporter, CNN, Deadline, Moviepilot, E! Online, Warner Bros.

Photo Source: