October World News Update

[ot-caption title=”Among other world news this October, ISIS is preparing to defend Mosul against a US/Iraqi/Kurdish joint attack. (via Day Donaldson, Flickr)”]

Brazilian Presidential Corruption [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The first major news story of October started back in September when Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff was impeached due to tampering with the budget. The story is still evolving with the man who engineered the impeachment, Eduardo Cunha, being arrested last week on charges of corruption.  After many arrests of members of President Rousseff’s Worker’s Party, Cunha is the first major politician from the Brazilian Democratic Movement party to be arrested in the widespread corruption scandals. Cunha’s accusers say he has taken bribes from the Petrobas oil company as well as interfered with the investigation. After Rousseff’s impeachment, the Senate voted to replace her with Law Professor Michel Temer who is trying to right the ship at the top of the Brazilian government and stabilize the country. [spacer height=”20px”]

Wells Fargo Fake Account Controversy [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The second major story of October occurred here in the US, but will have global implications, as the CEO of Wells Fargo, John Stumpf, is resigning after the company’s fake accounts scandal earlier this year. Thousands of employees were involved in schemes to create bogus accounts for customers without their permission to siphon off money and accumulate fees, and gain bonuses for doing so. The government has fined Wells Fargo $185 million and is considering further prosecution. Stumpf will be replaced with Tim Sloan, the COO of the company. [spacer height=”20px”]

Hurricane Matthew Hits Haiti [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Haiti is once again struggling with reconstruction after a natural disaster – this time Hurricane Matthew. Haiti never truly recovered after the 2010 earthquake, especially since the UN peacekeepers sent to help brought Cholera with them, setting back relief efforts and causing more harm. International relief after the 2010 earthquake was distributed in a way that many believe actually harmed Haiti in the long run, an opinion espoused by the government there.  This time around, government is determined to control aid more effectively. [spacer height=”20px”]

ISIS Defending Mosul [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

In Iraq, ISIS is preparing to defend Mosul from attack by the US-backed Iraqi and Kurdish coalition. They are making a strong push back and are trying to stop this coalition from getting anywhere near the city.  To keep the coalition out, US officials believe ISIS intends to use chemical weapons against the attackers, as well as human shields. Soldiers confirmed there was mustard agent in some ISIS munitions. Although banned by international convention, mustard agent is not deadly, unlike its cousin mustard gas. Comparing its effects to poison ivy, one official said it is more like a “weapon of mass disruption.” Hopefully, the coalition will be able to deal with this chemical attack and push into Mosul which is a key part of the ISIS caliphate. A win there would be a huge step in the fight against ISIS. [spacer height=”20px”]

Sources: New York Times, Fox News, Washington Post, The Guardian, Reuters, BBC News, CNN, Fortune, NPR, Daily Beast

Photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thespeakernews/15715981259