October Film Preview

[ot-caption title=”October brings many new, exciting films to theater. (via, Hashi/ wikimedia)”]

With the award season early each year, the Fall and Winter are always an important time for films. This year is no different, and with October we welcome the Oscar Season, the time when studios release their biggest Academy Award Contenders.

Sicario– October 2, 2015

Starting off October is the wide release of Denis Villeneuve’s Sicario. After Prisoners and Enemy, audiences and critics have been eagerly awaiting Villeneuve’s next project. Sicario follows an FBI agent who is transferred to Mexico to help fight the war on drugs. Villeneuve is once again working with Roger Deakins, a director of photography who previously worked on Prisoners, Shawshank Redemption, and No Country for Old Men. At a 93% and Certified Fresh on RottenTomatoes.com, Sicario is sure to impress viewers.

The Martian– October 2, 2015

Opening alongside Sicario is Ridley Scott’s The Martian. Based off the best-selling book, The Martian tells the story of Astronaut Mark Watney, who gets left behind by his crew on Mars. The film stars Matt Damon, who also starred in last year’s big science fiction film, Interstellar. Having directed both Blade Runner and Alien, audiences have extremely high expectations for Ridley Scott and The Martian. Currently at a 94% and Certified Fresh on RottenTomatoes.com, critics have described The Martian as smart and thrilling, even if it does not compare to Scott’s other films.

Steve Jobs– October 9, 2015

Ever since Apple CEO Steve Jobs passed away in 2011, there have been copious amounts of films about the late inventor. 2013 saw the disappointing release of Jobs, starring Ashton Kutcher, and early this year, Steve Jobs: Man in the Machine, released to a mostly warm reception, but as a documentary, many felt it was too one sided and pessimistic. This brings us to Steve Jobs, the upcoming film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Aaron Sorkin, writer of The Social Network.  During the 2014 hack of Sony Pictures Entertainment, emails were released that detailed a conversation between Sony and critically acclaimed director David Fincher, who worked with Aaron Sorkin on The Social Network.  While the idea of a David Fincher directed Steve Jobs film is quite exciting, Danny Boyle is no stranger to film, having won the Oscar for best director for 2008’s Slumdog Millionaire. With positive reviews beginning to surface, Steve Jobs is expected to be a captivating film. 

Beast of No Nation– October 16, 2015

Ever since 2012, Netflix has been on a mission to create the best and most expansive library of content available to people. In 2013, Netflix’s House of Cards became the first original online-only television show to receive major Emmy wins. Now, Netflix has their sights set on the Academy Awards, with their first feature-film, Beasts of No Nation. Beasts of No Nation follows Agu, an African child soldier who finds himself in the middle of a brutal civil war. The film stars Idris Elba and is directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, who rose to fame after directing the first season of HBO’s True Detective. The film will be available on Netflix.com as well as a few theaters in the form of a limited release. Some early reviews are praising the film for its serious nature, with the Hollywood Reporter simply saying the film is “Grim, grueling, and gripping.”

No matter which film you decide to watch, you can’t make a wrong choice!