PC Football Team and Fans Look Forward to an Exciting Season

[ot-caption title=”In the battle of the Panthers, PC faced off against Coral Springs Charter at home last Friday night.  (via, Justin Danzansky)”]

As the first month of Pine Crest football comes to a close, all signs point towards a very exciting season for the Panthers. To begin their campaign, the varsity team collected its first win on August 21 with a 42-15 thrashing of Pompano Beach High, in which junior quarterback Jordan Schulefand debuted a new up-tempo offense that promises to give opposing defenses fits over the course of the year. Next, in their first in-conference game at Pope John Paul II, the Panthers battled ferociously back from a three touchdown deficit late in the second half to cut the lead to three. Unfortunately, the rally came up a field goal short, as PC fell 34-31, but the fighting spirit displayed will serve the squad well as the season progresses.

This year’s team features excellent contributions from all including veteran seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshmen, and even an eighth grader in Jadeon Henry. This diverse group of players continues to embrace the philosophies of first year Coach Harrison. Specifically, a commitment to family and team bonds among one another propels the group forward. The team has also relished support from a dedicated and enthusiastic fan base. The incredible backing from students and faculty has drawn attention throughout the school. Head of Upper School Joey Walters described how, “It’s a testament to our Panther pride that people fought through the (stormy) weather just to come out and watch the game. Win or lose, this is a bout bringing people together.” The tenacity of the Panther fans even reached the new head coach, evident in his social media post after the game against Pope John Paul stating, “the Panther faithful outnumbered the home team’s fans. You were loud and supportive the whole game!” All the tremendous support will only benefit the team in the long run.

The team has had success early, but as cliché as it sounds, the green and white have learned a ton from their losses and have focused on the positives. This past Friday night the team took a beating, falling 35-6 to division rival Coral Springs Charter. However, senior wide-receiver David Tescher, who scored the lone touchdown on a deep reception in the loss, described the season as a process and remarked, “If you work hard, good things will happen.” Even though Coral Springs took the lead and ran with it, PC never gave up, and it’s this attitude that will push the limits and drive the team to new heights.

The PC varsity football team will compete next at Benjamin this coming Friday, followed by a date with Coral Shores the 18th. There’s a long way to go this football season, but the Panthers are certainly off to a really positive start!