Eastside Mutts Finish Second in State Tournament

The Pine Crest representatives of the Eastside Mutts celebrate their runner-up finish in the state championships. (Via Cody Shamon, Senior)

[ot-caption title=”The Pine Crest representatives of the Eastside Mutts celebrate their runner-up finish in the state championships. (Via Cody Shamon, Senior)” url=”https://pcpawprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/11026735_10203690844259951_1928298739_n-1-e1425336007148.jpg”]

The team’s name could not characterize them any more. The Eastside Mutts are exactly what they sound like; Mutts. Consisting of skaters from Calvary Christian High School, Monarch High School, Pompano Beach High School, and of course Pine Crest, the team provides a unique experience for players from many different schools. However, when you mix all of these personalities and players, you get a very close and talented hockey team.

Fast-forward four months from the beginning of the season, and the team was not surprised when they found themselves in the Tampa Bay Lightning’s Amalie Arena locker room getting ready to play for a state championship. Way back in October, Captain Cody Shamon told Type One’s Ruchicka Sharma that “we’re good enough to maybe even go to the state championships for composite high schools teams.” The Mutts certainly knew their talent.

Although they would end up losing in a hard fought battle against East Manatee High School, senior captain Nicholas Becker remained positive, saying, “Even though we did not preform as well as we should have, we had a great time bonding with each other.”

What many might overlook is the journey the Mutts made to get to that state championship game. They had demonstrated so much heart to earn a spot in the state finals and it should not go unnoticed. Captains Nick Becker, Cody Shammon, and Ian Schneider lead the team to an 11-7-1 regular season record, surprising everybody along the way. On February 2nd, the very last day of the season, the Mutts defeated Flanagan/West Broward 6-3, punching their ticket to the playoffs. From there, the team kicked into a whole new gear.

They were firing on all cylinders on their way to the state championship. Clutch playoff victories only cemented senior captains Nick Becker and Cody Shamon’s legacies. The starting defensive duo finished the season with a stunning +41 rating, not to mention their combined 172 hits. One the other side of the ice, the team played a tough, offensive style of hockey. Junior Ian Schneider was an offensive machine, leading the first line with 31 points. Freshman Michael Blyer was also a key player for the Mutts, and the team looks to have a bright future ahead of them.

Although they ultimately lost the championship game, it is easy to see the positives on the season. “It was an amazing season and I was proud to be a part of it,”Becker reflected. Looking ahead, the Mutts will have many crucial assets returning to the team next year, especially in junior captain Ian Schneider and the aformentioned Michael Blyer.

All in all, it was a successful season for the Mutts. Even though hockey may not be the first sport people think of when they hear Pine Crest, the Mutts are trying to change that one game at a time. Hockey is on the rise in South Florida, and it will continue to grow. The Mutts enjoyed a very successful 2014-15 campaign and hope to go even further next year.